none
Windows 7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to download what I thought was Windows 7 64 bit from Microsoft's Website.  I Hated Vista 64 bit so I really didn't care what damage it did.  It works so much better that I can't believe it.  Faster also.  Here is my problem. I was able to install it over the top of Vista 64 bit.  I have been reading that when you buy the Ultimate version that you will not be able to install it (full version or upgrade) over the top of anything.  This is a problem for some of us who have preinstalled software and the drivers are not singled out on back up application CDs. 

My hope is that we can buy a full version Windows 7 Ultimate and install it over the top. Does anyone know?

Many programs that would not work in Vista 64 bit work just fine in Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate
    I have cured one problem of Roxio 2009 as their patch for Vista 64 also works for Windows 7 64 bit.
    I have another problem with Office 2007.  Powerpoint and Excel will not allow you to click on the user file, i.e. in Excel. The .xls file gives error: "There was a problem sending the command to the program".  However Word 2007 works OK.

The only program I have found that refuses to work is Family Treemaker 2006, Family Treemaker 2008, and then ONLY in the report functions that make a report in .pdf, xls, .rtf, etc...

Has anyone any answers for any of this???
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:48 PM

Answers

• Hi, As long as the W7 is not test version (ie. beta, RC1. ) you can do an upgrade or repair with the retail version of W7 upgraded from Vista. See link for more info.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

Slan go foill, Paul 
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I have another problem with Office 2007.  Powerpoint and Excel will not allow you to click on the user file, i.e. in Excel. The .xls file gives error: "There was a problem sending the command to the program".  However Word 2007 works OK.

Office 2007 should be fully compatible and should be working correctly.  If you have existing problems for this and/or other programs which relate to a b0rked program install then a Windows 7 upgrade would not correct those.  You'd still have to afterwards uninstall/reinstall problemmatic programs to correct such issues.  Thw Windows Upgrade will correct any problems which are OS-related, but it can't resolve those which are program install-related.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:12 PM
  • As for Familytreemaker 2008, make sure the Service Pack has been installed. You can download it here. You can also try installing it as below:

Install program under compatibility mode & Administrator level

=================

1. Right click on the installation file (setup.exe) and click Properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab.

3. Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for.”

4. Choose Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down list.

5. Select “Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6. Click Apply, click OK.

Right click on the setup file and choose Run as administrator to install it again.

If it does not work, this program may be not compatible with Windows 7, I suggest contacting its distributor to examine it.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 12, 2009 6:15 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:29 AM

All replies

• Hi, As long as the W7 is not test version (ie. beta, RC1. ) you can do an upgrade or repair with the retail version of W7 upgraded from Vista. See link for more info.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

Slan go foill, Paul 
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 6:29 PM
  • I have another problem with Office 2007.  Powerpoint and Excel will not allow you to click on the user file, i.e. in Excel. The .xls file gives error: "There was a problem sending the command to the program".  However Word 2007 works OK.

Office 2007 should be fully compatible and should be working correctly.  If you have existing problems for this and/or other programs which relate to a b0rked program install then a Windows 7 upgrade would not correct those.  You'd still have to afterwards uninstall/reinstall problemmatic programs to correct such issues.  Thw Windows Upgrade will correct any problems which are OS-related, but it can't resolve those which are program install-related.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:12 PM
  • The only program I have found that refuses to work is Family Treemaker 2006, Family Treemaker 2008, and then ONLY in the report functions that make a report in .pdf, xls, .rtf, etc...

Oh!  A tip for future reference, if those programs are running into 'permissions' problems under Vista or Windows 7.

Uninstall the program completely.  If necessary, remove any orphanned registry entries pertaining to them.

Reinstall the program, by way of right-clicking its 'setup.exe' (or whatever) installer and choosing 'Run as administrator'.

Do NOT allow the program to automatically launch when the install is complete.

Launch the program, for its first run, by right-clicking one of the shortcuts created during the install  (Start Menu, Desktop etc) and again choosing 'Run as Administrator'.

That procedure does not correct any and all problems, but if the problems relates to an installer which doesn't configure necessary permissions then it should be enough.  Similar problems get encountered by people who unwisely disable UAC before installing their programs, and then enable it afterwards.  Avoiding the ;prompts' in that fashion isn't necessarily a good idea because, again, necessary permissions may not be correctly configured during the install.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:51 PM
  • As for Familytreemaker 2008, make sure the Service Pack has been installed. You can download it here. You can also try installing it as below:

Install program under compatibility mode & Administrator level

=================

1. Right click on the installation file (setup.exe) and click Properties.

2. Click on the Compatibility tab.

3. Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for.”

4. Choose Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the drop down list.

5. Select “Run this program as an administrator” option under the Privilege Level topic.

6. Click Apply, click OK.

Right click on the setup file and choose Run as administrator to install it again.

If it does not work, this program may be not compatible with Windows 7, I suggest contacting its distributor to examine it.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 12, 2009 6:15 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 8:29 AM