none
Disable Windows Server 2016 Startup Programs RRS feed

• Question

• How can I disable Windows Server 2016 Startup Programs? I cannot see the 'Startup' tab on Task Manager?
    Monday, August 7, 2017 1:23 PM

All replies

• Probably the same as for 2012 R2, you can use AutoRuns

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Deni Garo Monday, August 7, 2017 2:01 PM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 1:54 PM
  • I agree with Dave and Nedim on this one. 
    Monday, August 7, 2017 2:01 PM
  • That mean the Windows 2016 server cannot disable the auto startup programs? The AutoRuns modified the regedits?

Sorry, how can I use the AutoRuns?
    'Autoruns64.exe' > Everything > (tick out) the items??

• Edited by edwinlcf Monday, August 7, 2017 7:42 PM
    Monday, August 7, 2017 7:37 PM
  • That's correct, there's no UI for it. Also take a look in;

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

or

C:\Users\"some user"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

or possibly;

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376977(v=vs.85).aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 7, 2017 7:43 PM
  • Hello,

If you are not able to see the startup tab in task manager you may also follow the below procedure to achieve the goal.

start -> RUN -> msconfig ->startup tab-> select the programs and manage it accordingly.

Regards,

Nick.

Monday, August 7, 2017 7:51 PM
  • In Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016, Startup items are not enabled on this system
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:07 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:41 AM
  • In Server Manager click Manage > Server Manager Properties > Check "Do not start Server Manager automatically at logon
    Friday, February 23, 2018 11:52 PM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 26, 2018 4:45 AM
  • I use CCleaner that have startup management and it works on Windows Server 2016
    Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:34 PM
  • Thanks! Only you solution work!

Another ways deprecated by MS.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:39 AM
  • Note that the Run keys are only one of many ways programs can be configured to run automatically.  That's the beauty of the autoruns tool - it exposes them all.  Cheers.

David W Knight

Wednesday, December 19, 2018 6:02 PM
  • Typical Microsoft... Hack the registry to make it work.... Or just do what everyone should be doing now...

Just run OS-X in the first place.  (Windows programmer for 35+ years, but getting sick of this kind of stuff... any idea how many times I've had to hack the registry to get stuff to work, or worse, completely work around the OS...)  It is totally INSANE that there wouldn't be UI for this kind of thing...

And worse, the program that always runs when you login to a server is totally useless.. I've never found ONE thing that I can DO with 'server manager'

(One of the other answers says you can turn that garbage off inside the app... which I finally was able to turn off for the first time in about a decade since this junk app was written...

I keep several .Reg files that I click on to fix defects in Windows... Er, turn off "features" that have no UI to turn them off...  I even have a program that runs in the background to kill off the auto-update program so it doesn't reboot my machine I'm using as a build server... (Oooh, you would NEVER use a Windows 10 machine for that, we NEED to reboot it daily/randomly... WE NEED CONTROL OF OUR MACHINE... WE Paid for it after all... oh, wait? we didn't?  Doesn't matter what you want make no difference to us...)  And to apply ANY change to the machine Windows wants to reboot.  New USB device driver? Reboot... no reason, just reboot..

Crazy OS...

Monday, July 22, 2019 8:27 PM