none
Sysprep error in windows 7 a fatal error occured while trying to sysprep the machine

Question

•  please any one help me i am struggling last 3 day  with sysprep command,

I want to sysprep the windows7 system which is genuine professional version and updated with Microsoft patches, i installed all applications and drivers to that system,

When i doudle click sysprep icon selected oobe /generalize/reboot

Then it give error  a fatal error occured while trying to sysprep the machine 
    then i checked log file in prefeth folder
    2009-11-24 16:17:22, Error      [0x0f0073] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:Not running DLLs; either the machine is in an invalid state or we couldn't update the recorded state, dwRet = 31
    2009-11-24 16:17:22, Error      [0x0f00ae] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup external providers; hr = 0x8007001f

please help me........
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:05 AM

All replies

• Thats horrible answer, I'm not going to lie.

We use Xendesktop for virtual desktops and spent lots of time creating a nice golden image with all our settings/apps/tweaks. Now we copied that image to another spot and need to change the SID to avoid conflicts. So sysprep fails and pretty much the jackasses at MS have no fix.

There is nothing wrong with our image and I am NOT going to recreate it just so I can change SIDS to avoid conflicts with this shitty operating system. What a joke.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Thats horrible answer, I'm not going to lie.

We use Xendesktop for virtual desktops and spent lots of time creating a nice golden image with all our settings/apps/tweaks. Now we copied that image to another spot and need to change the SID to avoid conflicts. So sysprep fails and pretty much the jackasses at MS have no fix.

There is nothing wrong with our image and I am NOT going to recreate it just so I can change SIDS to avoid conflicts with this shitty operating system. What a joke.

That is pretty crappy. I have the same error. I think this is a way for Microsoft to say "Oh - you exceeded your volume lisence, buy another." Even though I never deployed any units cause I have to build every machine 15 times. The amount of money we pay and you think they would get one right EVENTUALLY!

Keywords: Crappy, rip-off, sham, racket, 0x0f00ae, 0x8007001f, 1073425657, dwRet = 31, windows, 7, premium, professional, ultimate, active, directory, Dell, Microsoft, Server, Workstation, Google, Linux, Unix, Android, Red Hat. RHEL, Ubuntu, Unhappy customers 

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 4:35 PM
  • I think its safe to say that we are pissed off about these problems and the lack of a response. The above links point to problems with Vista and this thread is about 7. I was in audit mode doing some final tweaking and got this after the image was "perfect" ie, ready to deploy.  "Rebuilding the image", which is the only answer that seems to be given, is not a pleasant option after just spending all day doing just that. What I am hearing from these responses is that as far as MS is concerned my time is worthless and its ok to just spend another day "rebuilding the image". 

that was almost but not quite entirely unlike me
    • Proposed as answer by mdedeboer Saturday, August 15, 2015 12:42 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:44 AM
  • Solution for the sysprep fatal error is to clean partner folder i.e. Go to Sysprerp folder i.e.  c:\windows\system32\sysprep\partner

Check below guide for more info...

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/solution-windows-8-and-windows-81-fatal.html

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/guide-fatal-error-occurred-while-trying_23.html

www.mytricks.in

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Didn't work for me.  Yup, this will be the 7th time redoing the Win 7 image to include applications which don't play nice with configuration manager 2012.  The last couple of times I got a missing vb dll error when sysprep 3/4 done.; now I've got a brick, AGAIN.   I'm ready to call it quits and just go back to XP.  I've got hundreds of machines to do and this is taking WAY too much of my time to prep an image for mass deployment.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 4:40 PM
  • I know this is an old post but this worked for me

Use regedit to change the below reg keys to match

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\GeneralizationState\

CleanupState:2

GeneralizationState:7

Jedi Hammond Dell Services

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 11:16 PM
  • I know this is an old post but this worked for me

Use regedit to change the below reg keys to match

CleanupState:2

GeneralizationState:7

Jedi Hammond Dell Services

Thank you. That worked. How did you come by this?
    • Proposed as answer by Makaveli1976 Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:46 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Makaveli1976 Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:46 AM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Since today I had the same problem.

It seems releated to internet explorer 10.

The Helpinfo below did solve the problem for me.

'******************************************************************

I decided to add the proposed solution here in case anyone wants to fix it themselves. Again, credit goes to sgennadi for the solution.

After installing IE10, open the registry editor (regedit). You should make a backup of the registry before making any changes in the event that something goes wrong. You can do this by choosing File > Export and make sure you select ‘All’ under ‘Export range’.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep\Cleanup

Locate: Value Name {EC9FE15D-99DD-4FB9-90D5-5B56E42A0F80} Value Data C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iesysprep.dll,Sysprep_Cleanup_IE
    Replace the value with: C:\Windows\System32\iesysprep.dll,Sysprep_Cleanup_IE

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep\Generalize

Locate: Value Name {EC9FE15D-99DD-4FB9-90D5-CE53C91AB9A1} Value Data C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iesysprep.dll,Sysprep_Generalize_IE

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Sysprep\Specialize

Locate: Value Name {EC9FE15D-99DD-4FB9-90D5-676C338DC1DA} Value Data C:\Windows\SysWOW64\iesysprep.dll,Sysprep_Cleanup_IE

Now you should be able to run sysprep successfully without receiving the IE10 related error.

Source:

http://sysadministration.wordpress.com/tag/iesysprep-dll/

• Edited by Makaveli1976 Sunday, May 19, 2013 9:14 AM spelling
    Sunday, May 19, 2013 8:52 AM
  • Brilliant, thanks for the recommendation.  These steps allowed sysprep to proceed for me. 
    Friday, May 24, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Another example of why MS Products are garbage....A fresh install...I still can't sysprep....there should be no reason this fails out of the box....
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:59 AM
  • I have a solution for this that just worked for me:

As a work around of this problem, please type: regedit in the Start Search box to open Registry Editor, set the value of GeneralizationState underHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus to 7, then run sysprep again.

BooM!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:44 PM
  • Another example of why MS Products are garbage....A fresh install...I still can't sysprep....there should be no reason this fails out of the box....

Absolute truth.  Installed fresh windows 8.1 update 2.  Tried to sysprep and throw lots of garbage errors.  Please stay away from windows 8.1 update 2.  Wasted my whole 3 weeks when 8.1 update 2 had trouble with mandatory profiles
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:31 PM
  • This fixes it every time for me....  This is for Windows 7.

Type regedit in the Start Search box to open Registry Editor, set the value of GeneralizationState under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus to 7, then run sysprep again.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:34 PM