Eml Previewer for Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just connected a SharePoint 2013 e-mail library to Outlook 2016 but when trying to preview a eml message (the format used by SharePoint) in the preview pane, the message "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it."

This leads to the following questions:

1. Is there an Outlook previewer for <g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="16" id="16">eml</g> files? 

2. If so, why is this not installed by default since this is the format used in SharePoint?

3. Also, where can we download and how to install it?

4. if not, why use this format in SharePoint at all since it cannot be previewed in Outlook?

I have determined that the eml file can be opened in Outlook, this is NOT the issue.

Thanks for any response.

Using Windows 10 on a Surface 3.

Monday, February 5, 2018 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid it is the expected behavior just as the error message says, there are no EML previewers installed by default with Outlook, and this is because the Outlook emails now are in a different format, which is MSG. In other words, .eml files can be opened in Outlook, but Outlook is not designed for .eml files.

As for why this file format is used in SharePoint, I'd recommend you post a new question to the dedicated forum to SharePoint to get further assistance:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=sharepointgeneral

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, February 9, 2018 9:10 AM
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

Is there not an add-on or fix for this?

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 3:40 PM
  • I am not aware if there are add-ons for Outlook but I expect them to be around. Parsing and viewing eml files is not too complex.

Why sync the eml's from SharePoint to Outlook. There are add-ons for SharePoint that provide eml previewing capability in the browser. For example, Email Manager (see 
    https://appsource.microsoft.com/nl-nl/product/office/WA104380931?src=office&tab=Overview) provides a preview and shows the eml's attachments as links.

NB: I am affiliated with the vendor.

Paul | SLIM Applications

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 8:54 PM