none
dpm 2010 backup failed - RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to do a bare metal backup of a windows 2008 machine.  Since replica was inconsistent I checked the alert tab.

That's the problem I found

Affected area:    Computer\System Protection
    Occurred since:    26/01/2012 11:09:37
    Description:    The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection has exceeded the threshold value of 90%, or there is not enough disk space to accommodate the changed data. If you do not allocate more disk space, synchronization jobs may fail. (ID 3100)
        More information
    Recommended action:   
        Allocate more disk space for the replica. If no free disk space is available in the storage pool, you may need to add physical disks to the computer running DPM.
        Allocate more disk space for replica...
    Resolution:    To dismiss the alert, click below
        Inactivate alert

I allocated more space for replica, I destroyed and recreated the group but backup is still not working. Can be this issue due to insufficient disk space on the target server? At the moment disk space used is 50,8 Gb and free is 13,7 Gb.

Thanks in advance!

• Edited by ariz84 Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:26 AM
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM does not calculate the size of BMR data source, but assumes 30 GB for all servers. Admins should change the value as per the size of BMR backups expected on their environments.

Size of BMR backup can be roughly calculated sum of used space on all critical volumes.

Critical volumes = Boot Volume + System Volume + Volume hosting system state data such as AD DIT/log volumes.

See the link below for more informations :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634208.aspx

Regards,

Cordialement, Oussema FEKIH Note : Si ma réponse vous a été utile, ou apporté une résolution; merci de Voter ou de la marquer comme Utile. Best Regards, Oussema FEKIH If my reply has helped you or made a resolution, thank you to vote it as helpful or mark it as answer.
    • Proposed as answer by Oussema Fekih Friday, January 27, 2012 10:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by ariz84 Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:50 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:40 PM

All replies

• What is the current replica size?

which volumes is returned if you run this on your protected server?

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:c:

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:26 PM
  •  

Retrieving volume information...
    This would backup volume Operating System(C:),Data(E:) to c:.

ERROR - The location for backup is a critical volume.

In the picture above you can see disk allocation and data size for the backup

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Create a folder on another server with enough disk space (for example 200GB) and share it and change the location of backup when you execute this command :

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:\\server_name\bmrshare

Regards,

Cordialement, Oussema FEKIH Note : Si ma réponse vous a été utile, ou apporté une résolution; merci de Voter ou de la marquer comme Utile. Best Regards, Oussema FEKIH If my reply has helped you or made a resolution, thank you to vote it as helpful or mark it as answer.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:12 PM
  • In this way all seems to go well. I didn't finish the backup because it requires too much space.

I don't think it's the same type of backup I want to do. I need a bare metal backup or should bare metal backup copy exaclty all datas in the critical partions?

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:40 PM
  •  

Hi,

This command is the manually execution of Bare Metal Recovery.

wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -quiet -backuptarget:\\server_name\bmrshare

You need to execute the bare metal recovery manually to see the total space disk needed for DPM replica and increase the DPM Replica disk space as needed to fix the problem.

Regards

Friday, January 27, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Ok, thank you for your useful explanation. The question is: how does windows backup decide if a volume  is a critical one? On my server the operating system is on c: partition but with your command it backups also e: partion.

Second question: Dpm 2010 decides on his own the space to allocate. If he needs something like 500 gb, why does it allocate only 20 gb?? 

Friday, January 27, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

DPM does not calculate the size of BMR data source, but assumes 30 GB for all servers. Admins should change the value as per the size of BMR backups expected on their environments.

Size of BMR backup can be roughly calculated sum of used space on all critical volumes.

Critical volumes = Boot Volume + System Volume + Volume hosting system state data such as AD DIT/log volumes.

See the link below for more informations :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634208.aspx

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Oussema Fekih Friday, January 27, 2012 10:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by ariz84 Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:50 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Thanks for your useful help. I hope you can still help me...

I increased the amount of space used for replica according to the volumes and I started the backup. Backup started but it is still running after 8 hours and there is no data transferred according to DPM console. On the target machine there's only two events about backup:

In application log

Source: backup

id 753

Block level backup engine service successfully started

In backup log

Source backup

id 1

Backup started

DPMRA.exe process is active but doesn't seem working

Is there a way to understand is backup is working or should I stop it and rerun? Is there a way to understand where is the problem if there is one?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

on DPM console on jobs tab under monitoring, you can see running jobs and if the BMR jobs is still running or not.

if needed you can stop it and then recreate the BMR backup.

Regards.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Yes I know. That's why I told you there is no data transferred as you can see from the pictures:

If I simply re run the task I can have the same trouble but with no solutions. Anyway time elapsed is now more than 10 hours so I try to start the task once again... hope with more luck.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:29 AM