none
Why is Move Data & Settings is different in Replace and Standard task sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• If i run Client Replace Task  Sequence i can specify a location to store user data, i set this in customsettings.ini ..and it works fine.

If i run Standard Task Sequence then it doesnt let me choose the location to store the data - it WILL let me choose my own location to restore data though.

My goal is to have a single task sequence that will run, store the data on a server, build, then restore from the same server. From what it looks like, i have to run the Replace sequence, then reboot, then run the standard sequence and manually fill in the server location from where to restore from.

I've checked the actual steps in the task sequence and cant see any differences.

Is it possible  to do what i'm asking?

cheers,

Jon

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 8:46 AM

All replies

• Yes. Can you post your cs.ini?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 6:43 PM
  • Sure,

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y

SkipCapture=NO

SkipBDDWelcome=NO

SkipComputerName=NO

SkipDomainMembership=NO
    JoinDomain=pds.local
    Functional,DC=PDS,DC=LOCAL

SkipUserData=NO
    UserDataLocation=NETWORK
    UDShare=\\P\UserMigration$
    UDDir=%ComputerName%

SkipComputerBackup=NO

SkipProductKey=NO
    OverrideProductKey=

SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    KeyboardLocale=en-us
    UILanguage=en-us
    UserLocale=en-us

SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZone=110
    TimeZoneName=W. Europe Standard Time

SkipRoles=YES

SkipApplications=NO

SkipAdminPassword=YES
    AdminPassword=PAssword

SkipBitLocker=NO

SkipFinalSummary=NO

WSUSServer=h

FinishAction=Reboot

EventService=

• Edited by Jon Doyle Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:27 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 9:39 AM
  • You might try changing the UserDataLocation=\\PDS-Shares\UserMigration$\%ComputerName%

You can tell if it works if it shows up in the wizard in both of your use cases.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:01 PM
  • It doesn't work i'm afraid,

It looks like a completely different mechanism ...even when i click on 'Move user data...' it doesnt give me an option to type in a location

But if i run through the Replace Task Sequence it looks completely different

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:09 AM
  • FYI, the restore is happy for me to put a location in (which it gets from customsettings.ini)

Friday, July 22, 2016 9:16 AM