none
Exchange 2007 send connector does nor respect Maximum message size (sometimes...) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all

We have 9 email server, 5 Mailboxes, 2 CAS and 2 HT, We began to have problems to send and receive from internet; so I checked the queues and I discovered that some users are sending messages with a size greater than 16 MB, althought internally can send until 40MB, if they send externally, only until 16MB.

I revised all the configuration:

• Organization Configuration/Hub Transport/Global Settings/ Maximum send size (KB):40960
    • Server Configuration/Hub Transport/HT01/Receive Connectors/Default HT01/Maximum message size(KB): 40960 (only this server can send outside, the other server is in spare)
    • Organization Configuration/Hub Transport/Send Connector/SendMailOuside/Maximum message size(KB) 16386

We send by an Smart host that is used only by the HT01 to a Symantec server.

With this, we have this situations:

1. In the queue, I see some users are sending emails with a size more than 16MB outside the organization, I revised their configuration and the "maximun send size" is clear the checkbox (just like my account), the weir is if I try to send an email with a size more than 16MB, I got the message: "#550 5.3.4 ROUTING.SizeLimit; message size exceeds fixed maximum size for route ##", this is not sense because their account configuration is the same like mine, so the Exchange must not let them to put the email in the queue...
    2. If between internal users try to send an email with size more than 16MB, this is allowed and it's send without any problem

So I don't know where is the misconfiguration, is permited to send mails with size less than 40MB internally, but externally only until to 16MB, but I din't know why the Exchange system let some users to send (or at least put in the queue) this kind of messages, my account is in the same DB like the other users...

I hope to be clear in the description of the situation, maybe a patch or some thing, the HT server has the January patch and in april will be applied the last patchs.

Doc MX

Friday, March 27, 2015 8:57 PM

All replies

• Hi DocMX,

Thank you for your question.

Are there any transport rules for those users to send higher 16M?

Did those emails send external successfully which those emails is in the queue and with a size more than 16 M?

Did you send email  with a new account?

We could rebuild profile to check if the issue persist.

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 30, 2015 5:47 AM
  • Hi Jim

1.- I did a rule to deny to any user trying to send more tan 16GB, but I saw that this rule don't work

2.- Yes, also I could reset the password of the user that send more tan 16GB and by Outlook/owa/anywhere I tried to send a big email and the system tell me that is not permited... I got more confused...

3.- Rebuild the profile... I don't understand this...

Doc MX

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:05 AM
  • Hi DocMX,

Thank you for your question.

We could run the following command:

Get-TransportConfig | FL max*size

Then, we could check the send connector by the following command:

Get-SendConnector | FL Identity,MaxMessageSize

We could run the following command to check an individual user maximum size.

Get-Mailbox <username> | FL Name,Max*size

In my solution, we could rebuild the user profile that those users could send emails more than 16MB to check if the issue persist.

We could also restart the service of “Microsoft Exchange Transport”.

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know. 

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:06 AM
  • HiThis is the result:

I've restarted many times the Ms Exchange Transport.

The first user that begins with H it's my account and the other is the user that can send big mails.

Doc MX

Saturday, April 11, 2015 12:15 AM