Shortcut for screen brightness RRS feed

• Question

• [PC: Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit]

I am using a desktop pc which does not have keyboard shortcuts for adjusting screen brightness (eg Fn+Fx). Is there a way I can create a shortcut for adjusting screen brightness (eg Cntrl+PgeUp)?

Thanks.

Friday, October 28, 2011 6:39 AM

All replies

• Laptops screens have Fn+X key combination to alter brightness/contrast and other display settings because they don't have separate buttons

On the other hand desktops come with a separate monitor which usually has a button labelled Menu in the front panel with a dedicated on-screen menu to configure display settings. I tried searching for a 'keyboard shortcut' to change brightness settings on a desktop but didn't find anything useful - neither on the internet nor Windows Help and Support. So, I'm unsure if there's a way to do that.

Please revert back here if this does not address your query. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | I'm on facebook.com/serverbaba | RIP Steve Jobs

• Edited by Server Baba Friday, October 28, 2011 10:38 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2011 10:36 AM
  • Hi, my desktop is an all-in-one type where everything is integrated and does not have a separate monitor, so there is not any button on the pc associated with the monitor.

Thanks.

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:29 PM
  • I suggest you contact the manufacturer of your computer to see what interface to the screen brightness they have provided.
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:52 PM
  • I suggest you contact the manufacturer of your computer to see what interface to the screen brightness they have provided.

I mean...the brightness is software controlled, in this case it is Windows controlled (I can go all the way to Control Panel > Power setting > and then slide the brightness bar, but this takes time). When using Linux on the same pc I can specify a shortcut to control the brightness.

Thanks.

Monday, October 31, 2011 4:05 PM
  • I know its not much of help but u can always hit Win+X as it will open the Windows Mobility center and let you easy control brightness with the slider.
    Sunday, April 1, 2012 10:23 AM
  • On my new Windows 8 ASUS G75VX-TS72, Win+X opens a menu, then I have to click on Mobility Center, then I have to adjust the brightness. Surely I can find a way to create a Hot Key for fn+fsomething to do that.  Most of the f keys seem to be assigned to something by default with little icons on them, but none seem to brighten the screen.  I just have to figure out where to access that command/file to create a shortcut.
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:50 AM
  • Ah ha!  I just did, it's fn+f5 to dim and fn+f6 to brighten.  Thanks guys.  :-)

Tim

Sunday, August 18, 2013 3:52 AM
  • Ah ha!  I just did, it's fn+f5 to dim and fn+f6 to brighten.  Thanks guys.  :-)

Tim

hey this is possible in laptop only what about desktop
    Monday, September 16, 2013 4:56 PM
  • See these resources < https://www.raymond.cc/blog/software-to-adjust-monitor-brightness-and-contrast-for-dell-studio-one-desktop/ >.  I installed Desktop Lighter in a Win7 64-bit PC and it works perfectly.
    Friday, March 25, 2016 11:17 AM
  • its a pretty good way 
    as there is no other alternative 

Monday, August 22, 2016 9:44 AM
  • thanks its work..... in win 7
    Saturday, November 24, 2018 1:54 AM
  • for access hardware level monitor controls from desktop enviroment check dcc/ci:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Channel

and u can use screen bright tool for use that protocol from windows.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other-Desktop-Enhancements/ScreenBright.shtml

but i still need keyboard shortcuts like in laptops, fn+fx method too.

• Edited by kdogan Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:54 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 9:53 PM