Outlook 2013 - Unmerge contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we have one mailbox added to outlook 2013 on one's pc. This person prefers to view his contacts as 'Persons' list.

For an unknown reason all his contacts 300+ got merged. If i unmerge all contacts, the problem seemed to be resolved. Few minutes later he called me back to say the problem wasnt solved. I looked at his contacts and again the whole lot was merged.

I think he merged all of them into one by mistake and when i click the contact and delete all the others to unmerge them, i think the other 299 stay merged. Is this correct? Is there any way to unmerge all of them at once?

For now i told the user to use the view 'List', as the merged contacts show up as normal contacts in that view.

Any help or ideas as to how i can solve this issue?

Thanks,

Nicolaskiii

• Edited by Nicolaskiii Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:30 AM
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Nicolaskiii,

What does 'merge' refer to in your description? Could you provide a screenshot so that we can understand it more clearly? If you cannot upload an image in this forum, you can share it to us via OneDrive or sending to GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com. (Please include the thread URL in the message for easy follow-up)

>>For now i told the user to use the view 'List', as the merged contacts show up as normal contacts in that view.

Which view are you using currently?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Steve Fan Friday, July 21, 2017 8:45 AM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Hi Nicolaskiii,

I've received your email and screenshots. It looks you mean the Linked Contacts feature introduced since Outlook 2013, which can link all contacts for a person together so that you can see all linked contacts on a contact card. Outlook usually does a pretty good job at matching the contacts but occasionally gets it wrong. However, it's not normal that 300+ contacts got linked together. Unfortunately, currently there is no global option to disable this feature or unlink multiple contact at a time. We can only open one contact card and manage the linked contacts at a time.

To work around this issue, you may consider to not use the People view. Instead, try using other views, such as Business Card view, List view, etc.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, August 7, 2017 8:51 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:36 AM