none
DPM High availablity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to DPM and we want to deploy DPM 2012 my manager has asked me three questions which are following

1. How to highly available DPM 2012

2. i have sharepoint team exchange team and other teams every team should take backup of their respective applications or servers. Is there a way to define RBAC so that they can take the backup and restore backup of only their respective application or servers

3. as per question 2 when they open the DPM console they should only see their own protection groups and disks assigned to them

4. as per Question 2 and 3 if above is possible then can i define the disks to only their protection group for example exchange team should take and restore backup on those disk which are assigned to them and they should not see other disks.

Appreciate your help

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Sunday, May 6, 2012 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Skhatri,

1. How to highly available DPM 2012

Setup a Primary and Secondary DPM server. If the Primary fails you can take over protection with the Secondary DPM server.

2. i have sharepoint team exchange team and other teams every team should take backup of their respective applications or servers. Is there a way to define RBAC so that they can take the backup and restore backup of only their respective application or servers

The answer to this is NO. You cannot set RBA based on the object level only on the task level. For example you can set a user so they can restore data but you cannot limit a user to only being able to restore Exchange data. Also keep in mind that the DPM 2012 RBA functionality is only available via SCOM console and not the DPM 2012 console. So to enforce this your admins need to be working out of the SCOM console when administering DPM 2012 and not the DPM 2012 console.

3. as per question 2 when they open the DPM console they should only see their own protection groups and disks assigned to them

No.

4. as per Question 2 and 3 if above is possible then can i define the disks to only their protection group for example exchange team should take and restore backup on those disk which are assigned to them and they should not see other disks.

The only way to accomplish this would be to setup your DPM storage pools using custom volumes.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Hi,

What wil be the configuration of the second DPM server, will it take the backup of primary dpm server or will it backup those resources which are already being backed up by primary dpm server.

is there any article which i can follow to create a secondary dpm server as well as best practices.

if primary dpm server is down but i have all the tapes and disks which have the protected servers backup can i use the same tape and disk in secondary dpm server to restore the backup of the protected servers.

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Monday, May 14, 2012 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

What wil be the configuration of the second DPM server, will it take the backup of primary dpm server or will it backup those resources which are already being backed up by primary dpm server.

is there any article which i can follow to create a secondary dpm server as well as best practices.

if primary dpm server is down but i have all the tapes and disks which have the protected servers backup can i use the same tape and disk in secondary dpm server to restore the backup of the protected servers.

Hi,

A Secondary DPM server protects data on the Primary DPM server (Your protected servers). Think of it as replication.

This link will give you more info on Secondary protection.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795680.aspx

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, May 14, 2012 7:12 AM