SBS 2008 to SBS 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have recently inherited a customer who has a Small Business Server 2008 in use with no exchange running as clients are on pop email. they were also sold SBS 2011 to upgrade which hasnt been done yet. we've been asked to take over their server and upgrade them to SBS 2011 but are unsure on the way to go about it. we've done SBS migrations from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 on 2 seperate servers but we've never done it on the same server. we would put there pop emails onto exchange but are unsure if we should do this before migrating or after migrating. any thoughts on the process of doing this would be very helpful

Friday, August 3, 2012 1:31 PM

Answers

• As there's no straight upgrade path on the same box, if it were me I would do a P2V of the current system into a VMWare or Hyper-V host. You can do that as many time as you like until you get it working, and that will free up the current live box to allow you to install 2011 in migration mode.

You have the added advantage of being able to take a full backup of the entire 2008 VM before you do the migration to 2011, giving you a fallback if it fails.

Once all that's done and dusted, you can talk them into into ditching the prehistoric POP3 setup and switch to SMTP...but if they really do want to live in 20th century then you can enable POP3 for them on the new SBS2011 box.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

• Proposed as answer by Mohitkapoor Friday, August 3, 2012 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by EC Computers Ltd Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:23 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• As there's no straight upgrade path on the same box, if it were me I would do a P2V of the current system into a VMWare or Hyper-V host. You can do that as many time as you like until you get it working, and that will free up the current live box to allow you to install 2011 in migration mode.

You have the added advantage of being able to take a full backup of the entire 2008 VM before you do the migration to 2011, giving you a fallback if it fails.

Once all that's done and dusted, you can talk them into into ditching the prehistoric POP3 setup and switch to SMTP...but if they really do want to live in 20th century then you can enable POP3 for them on the new SBS2011 box.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

• Proposed as answer by Mohitkapoor Friday, August 3, 2012 6:42 PM
    • Marked as answer by EC Computers Ltd Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:23 AM
    Friday, August 3, 2012 3:38 PM
  • i was thinking we would have to do something like that. never done hyper-v before or used vmware but we do have a bit of software called shadow protect which takes an image and then we can re load the image onto another server then do the migration. i'm assuming theres no issue with migrating the old server with nothing setup in exchange then setting up the exchange accounts on the SBS 2011 server once the migration has been completed?
    Monday, August 6, 2012 7:59 AM
  • Provided Exchange is functional, albeit not actually being used, then you should be okay. Make sure all the various BPA and DCDiag/NETDiag tests are all clean once you have the SBS2008 box on the temporary hardware.

Jim

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:53 AM
  • cheers for the help guys
    Tuesday, August 7, 2012 8:23 AM