Windows 7 Search - Desperate for help. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very specific need for the Windows Explorer Search Feature that Windows 7 seems to not allow.  I need to be able to search one specific folder while keeping another folder open.  This is how I did it in XP with the Search Companion:

I would open the folder I want to keep open.  In the left pane (search companion) I chose "Browse Folders" and chose the folder that I wanted to use for my searches.  I would then be able to type in a file name within the search field and open that file, then use the 'back' button to go back to the original folder I was working in.  I work in accounting and we have over 30 ledgers that I have to go to multiple times a day.  These are spread over two main folders.  I absolutely NEED to be able to do what I did with search companion with Windows 7.  There has to be a way.  I've been trying to figure it out for over an hour now, and am so frustrated that I'm spending my time trying to figure something out that should be intuitive (and was with XP...).  Any help that can be offered would be so appreciated. 

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you want the search box in the left pane of Windows Explorer like Windows XP? I’m afraid Windows 7 have not this function. But on the upper right corner in windows explorer, you can type both file name and content together to search for the exact file. You do not even have to put the file name and content separately in the different option column.

Of course, all the file should be indexed. If you could not do the search described above, make sure your User folder was included in the Indexing Options. You can refer:

Windows 7 File Search Indexing Options

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

This article maybe helpful to you:

Advanced Query Syntax

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 8, 2010 1:08 AM
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 1:11 AM