none
Removing projects from a report/best practice for close down RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Apologies in advanced for what is probably a very simple noob question. I did a search and couldn't find the answer, and anyone that has seen my previous posts know I am self taught.

So things are going well with the use of PWA in my team and the team much prefer it to our horrible previous setup of a networked resource pool.

The query I have is what is best practice when it comes to closing down a project plan when the project is complete? I've noticed in our Power BI report that a project that is 100% work complete still shows, and although initially I thought it might no longer show I think it probably makes sense for more accurate reporting and forecasting.

However a lot of our plans that the team used before we migrated to PWA were purely used for resourcing purposes, now I'm looking at costing and scheduling reports because I have the capability. But because of how some of the team used to use these plans, some of them don't have baselines as an example and so are causing some inaccuracies in the reports. My idea was to stop the plans appearing in the reports when the projects were complete by simply going into the plan and selecting No for each task in the Publish column, but for my test plan this didn't work. Worst case for the effected plans I can delete them when the project is complete, but wanted to check if there is any best practice here.

Thanks.

Friday, August 10, 2018 8:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If it is for a report$ing purpose, the easiest way is to have a project custom field for the project status, with a "completed" value. Then you can use this field to filter out completed projects from reports and views. You can also simply use the %complete native field to filter out projects.

The publish field set to no will only work for showing or not tasks, not the project itself. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, August 10, 2018 1:27 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I'll need to look into that as it's not something I'm familiar with.

However one query with the completed value, would it exclude the project from Power BI reports or just the Project reporting?

Thanks.

Friday, August 10, 2018 3:06 PM