Get the current usb drive letter RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm have a tough time trying to get the drive letter of a usb.

I am using the ISE in Admin mode

I have a ps script that resides on a usb drive.  In the script, I'm trying to set the relative path to specific files (relative to the root of the USB it resides on).

The reason I need to do this is that when I go from work station to work station (as needed), I can simply run the script and have it copy the appropriate files to the appropriate place (from the usb to a specific path on the hd).

Because on each system, the usb is apt to get a different drive letter, I can't hard code the drive letter in the script.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Terry

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:33 PM

All replies

• Look for the drive label.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:12 PM
  • Hi Terry,

you can run the following cmd command:

wmic logicaldisk where drivetype=2 get deviceid

in PowerShell and then it will look like this:

cmd /c "wmic logicaldisk where drivetype=2 get deviceid"

and this will show you the USB drives and their letters...In all cases you have an challenge: how to determine which drive to target if you have more then one USB drive... but this cannot be solved technically

Hope I could help. Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:31 PM
  • It sure can be solved technically.

Get-PsDrive | Where Description -eq 'My USB label'

You can also set an event on the USB resource or scan the event log for the latest USB mount.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Agree, you can do that, but only if you have a uniform naming convention for those :)

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:06 PM
  • The Drive label may not work for me in some cases.

I did find a 1 liner by Marco Nuijens that led me to a solution:

$USBDrive = get-psdrive |where {$_.Root -match ":"} |% {if (Test-Path ($_.Root + "Do Not Delete")){$_.Root}}

I created a folder called "Do Not Delete" on my thumb drive.  The above looks for it and returns the drive letter.

So, in my application, Im using it as such:

$IconPath = -Join ($USBDrive, 'ICON ICO\ICON.txt')
    Copy-Item $IconPath "C:\users\default\App Data\Microsoft\Windows\Shell"

Seems to be working as I need it to.

Thank You

Terry

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:27 PM
  • (get-volume | where drivetype -eq removable).driveletter

• Edited by JS2010 Friday, June 14, 2019 2:35 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2019 2:28 PM