DPM 2010 - Tape Labels and Tape Rotaion in Library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

im using DPM 2010 with a Tape Library DELL PV124T to do Long Term Protection of my Systems (i have only one Protection Group for LT Protection).
    The PV124T can take 16 Tapes for LT-Protection. These Tapes are now full and i need to provide more free Tapes.

The questions that i have are:
    - Should I activate Co-Locating Data on Tape to use the free space on the tapes?

or

- Is it possible, to provide two new Magazines with 16 Tapes in the PV124T and archive the used 2 Magazines? I don´t know what happend when DPM didn´t find the full tapes?!

Greetz
    Oliver

Viele Grüße, Oliver. blog.oliver-huhnke.de, twitter @ohuhnke
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:05 AM

Answers

• Housekeeping, closing old post. Open a new one if you still have a need.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To help optimize tape usage, you should absolutily enable tape co-location so you can modify the TapeWritePeriodRatio so the tapes can be used longer.

Vommand to enable co-location of data on tape on the DPM Powershell window: 

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $true

TapeWritePeriodRatio -   Indicates the number of days for which data can be written on to a tape as a fraction between 0 and 1. The default value is 0.15  - meaning by default, we will write to the same tape for 15% of the retension range specified for each PG.

TapeWritePeriodRatio is a global property for DPM which needs to be set using DPM PowerShell CLI command. Here is the command to set it:

Set-DPMGlobalProperty –DPMServerName <dpm server name> -TapeWritePeriodRatio <fraction>

EXAMPLE, to set the write period ratio to 50%, use the following command.

Set-DPMGlobalProperty –DPMServerName DPM_SERVER_name -TapeWritePeriodRatio .50

During a tape backup if a tape becomes full and there are no other tapes marked free, Free (contains data) or expired in the library, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (dec) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Housekeeping, closing old post. Open a new one if you still have a need.
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:48 PM