upgrade from 4.1.0.56 to 4.2.1.21 (automated) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, we need to update 4000 Softgrid desktop clients (Windows XP) from 4.1.0.56 to 4.2.1.21 in the coming weeks. I'd like to find a way to automate it, preferring to run the operation from a central console.  (no we don't have SMS or SCCM yet). 

I am looking at using PSEXEC to do about 100 or so workstations at a time, if I can get the script or batch file to work flawlessly, and reboot the machine at the very end. In other words, the upgrade needs to complete in an unattended fashion.

I have had some success with this command line:
    Msiexec.exe /i "softgrid-wd-setup.msi" REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /qn

but when I try to add other parameters which have worked for us on older versions, such as

SWICACHESIZE=\"16384\" SWIDCSDISPLAY=\"SoftGrid Server \" SWIDCSHOST=\"SRVxx\" SWISOFTGRIDDRIVE=\"Q\"" 

within the same command line, msiexec fails and displays a menu of msiexec options, as if there is a typo in the command line. I have tried using the /V switch to pass the parameters to msiexec, but I must be getting the syntax wrong.

It is not clear whether the msi will allow the REINSTALL option, and also allow us to set these parameters, in the same command line.

Our Softgrid Servername and cache size have changed; this is why we have to supply new parameter variables during the install/upgrade.

Any ideas on scripting this install and incorporating the new parameters would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:39 PM

Answers

• Mike,

I'm not sure if you can use those MSI properties when doing upgrade install (after all, you are actually doing full-scale repair for it technically) just like you suspected.

What I would do is to first of all run the command you had success with (basically upgrading the client itself) and then changing those specific parameters with reg.exe since all of the parameters you want to change are registry values in HKLM. Just remember that cache can be increased, not decresed (for that you need true uninstall + reinstall) and server entry is stored in subkey named after your display name for it. So if you change your display name, prepare to modify registry so that you actually rename the key []from previous name] instead of value.

And finally, keep in mind normal disclaimers about registry editing.

br,

Kalle

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:07 AM
  • After thinking about what Kalle wrote, I think that you may be able to still combine both your thoughts. As Kalle stated, I don't believe you can combine the MSI upgrade commands with the additional change MSI parameters, but you should be able to take the appropriate registry keys and call them within a BAT file.  For example, you should be able to take this basic upgrade.BAT code:

Code Snippet
    net stop "SoftGrid Client" /y
    msiexec.exe /i "softgrid-wd-setup.msi" REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /q /norestart
    shutdown -r -t 5 -c "Your MAV (Softgrid) client is being upgraded to 4.2 HFRU2 & a reboot is required..."

and add a change.REG file to it with the specific registry parameters to get this:

Code Snippet

msiexec.exe /i "softgrid-wd-setup.msi" REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /q /norestart

regedit /s change.reg
    shutdown -r -t 5 -c "Your MAV (Softgrid) client is being upgraded to 4.2 HFRU2 & a reboot is required..."

The change.REG file would contain the following example information:

Code Snippet

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\CustomSettings]
    "TrayVisibility"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\AppFS]
    "DriveLetter"="Q:"

I would do a clean install of the specific settings you would like & then look at the following registry keys to export / copy into the change.REG file.

CACHESIZE should be found in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\AppFS]
    DCSDISPLAY should be created / found in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\DC Servers]

Create a new server key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\DC Servers\SoftGrid Server] with all its specifics to include DCSHOST information

Delete the old server key using a (-) switch, for example: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\DC Servers\SoftGrid Server]

Use the following MS article link to review registry key changes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

Of course this is just thought & haven't been tested, but I hope it can get you going in the right direction.

Friday, March 28, 2008 8:01 AM

All replies

• Mike,

I'm not sure if you can use those MSI properties when doing upgrade install (after all, you are actually doing full-scale repair for it technically) just like you suspected.

What I would do is to first of all run the command you had success with (basically upgrading the client itself) and then changing those specific parameters with reg.exe since all of the parameters you want to change are registry values in HKLM. Just remember that cache can be increased, not decresed (for that you need true uninstall + reinstall) and server entry is stored in subkey named after your display name for it. So if you change your display name, prepare to modify registry so that you actually rename the key []from previous name] instead of value.

And finally, keep in mind normal disclaimers about registry editing.

br,

Kalle

Thursday, March 27, 2008 11:07 AM
  • After thinking about what Kalle wrote, I think that you may be able to still combine both your thoughts. As Kalle stated, I don't believe you can combine the MSI upgrade commands with the additional change MSI parameters, but you should be able to take the appropriate registry keys and call them within a BAT file.  For example, you should be able to take this basic upgrade.BAT code:

Code Snippet

and add a change.REG file to it with the specific registry parameters to get this:

Code Snippet

regedit /s change.reg

The change.REG file would contain the following example information:

Code Snippet

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\CustomSettings]
    "TrayVisibility"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\AppFS]
    "DriveLetter"="Q:"

I would do a clean install of the specific settings you would like & then look at the following registry keys to export / copy into the change.REG file.

CACHESIZE should be found in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\AppFS]
    DCSDISPLAY should be created / found in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\DC Servers]

Create a new server key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\DC Servers\SoftGrid Server] with all its specifics to include DCSHOST information

Delete the old server key using a (-) switch, for example: [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Softricity\SoftGrid Client\CurrentVersion\DC Servers\SoftGrid Server]

Use the following MS article link to review registry key changes: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516

Of course this is just thought & haven't been tested, but I hope it can get you going in the right direction.

Friday, March 28, 2008 8:01 AM
  • Thanks to both Kalle and Badshadd.  I will incorporate many of your ideas. 

Unfortunately, the msiexec.exe IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 switch is useful for just that, a minor upgrade preserving the current settings, including keeping the same DCSERVER as the source. And there are several keys that could be edited to reflect other new settings such as increasing the cache size, as you pointed out.

However, I found that if one wishes to also change the SERVER that the current Softgrid client installation is pointing to, it appears one must change more than just the references to DCSERVERS in the registry.

Specifically, it looks like one would have to change the SoftGridSource value in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.abx , .jpg, .mpeg, .pdf,  and other file extension associations under this key, because many of them still point to the initial Softgrid Servername and port number from the original installation.  Perhaps this could be addressed by doing a /refreshall at the end of the batch file, but I have not tested this and I think it would require multiple restarts, which is what I am trying to avoid.

In my case I will proceed with uninstalling the old client and doing clean installs, because so many of the major settings are changing in my case.

Thanks again for your prompt responses. I think they will help many other readers of this forum in the future.

--Mike

Thursday, April 3, 2008 5:48 PM