none
SBS 2008 to Windows Server 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day,

I am planning a migration of SBS 2008 to Server 2012R2. It is imperative that the SBS server name is maintained on the new server. For me to do this I will be perform a swing migration. This involves building a Temp DC, replicating AD, taking it offline from the production network, then building a new server running Windows Server 2012R2 and replicate AD to that. There will be various AD clean up task which are done during the process.

My question is thus. SBS 2008 has Exchange 2007 installed which isn't being used as they have Office 365 for email. Before I replicate AD to the Temp DC would it be advisable to uninstall Exchange 2007 from the SBS 2008 server to remove the Active Directory attributes etc? During the swing migration I could delete the Exchange information from Active Directory but not the schema modifications that it made. Would anyone think not removing Exchange and replicating AD cause any problems in the short term? In the long term, if they ever decided to implement an on premise Exchange server would having the old schema modifications lying around cause any issues?

I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts.

David

Thursday, January 22, 2015 12:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Did you refer to this article about Transition from Small Business Server to Standard Windows Server?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/infratalks/archive/2012/09/07/transition-from-small-business-server-to-standard-windows-server.aspx

Including the exchange server migration.And we always need to ensure that we take a complete backup along with System State Backup of the SBS Server

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:52 AM
  • Cheers for that Vivian,

I won't be introducing the new Standard Server into the domain. I will be installing a temp-dc which I will replicate AD to. Once AD has replicated, I will be disconnecting it from the production domain, and then seizing the FSMO roles. There is then a load of AD cleaning up which I have to do.

My question is should I be removing Exchange 2003 from the SBS server before I introduce the Temp-DC as we no longer require exchange in the new environment.

David.

Monday, January 26, 2015 11:52 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to remove exchange 2003 from the sbs server, you need to confirm the migration from exchange server to new exchange server is correct. If you do not need any exchange in the new environment, i think it is ok.

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:57 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

Do you think I should remove Exchange from the SBS server before I start replicating Active Directory? In the new system they will not have an Exchange Server, only use Office 365. What I don't want to happen is in the future for what ever reason they want to introduce an exchange server they can't because old exchange 2003 attributes are left in AD.

David.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

If you have an plan to introduce an exchange server in the future, backup is needed i think.

You could consider migrate the exchange to office 365.

For more exchange related issue, i think you may ask in exchange forums:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?category=exchangeserver

Regards.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 5:04 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

I've decided that I'm going to uninstall Microsoft Exchange from the SBS server before I do the migration. Cheers.

David.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 3:10 PM
  • I don't believe it makes a difference.  I did it after I installed the 2012 DC.  the key is that it is done cleanly.

Let me know when you get to the Dcpromo part of removing your SBS server.  It asks for removal of certificate services but I am trying to figure out of that will mess with my 2012 DC.

Sunday, February 15, 2015 6:32 PM