Secondary DPM Agent Status - Unavailable RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2007 Server (DPM-Server) on site performing network backups.  A secondary DPM server (DPM-REMOTE) was configured on site to back up the primary DPM and everything was functioning as it should.  I have moved the seconday server to an off site location and established a VPN connection to the network and I am able to access network resources without any issues but the two DPM servers will not talk to each other.  Firewalls are disabled on both systems.

DPM-Server ia a 2003x64 system and DPM-Remote is a 2008x64 system.  Both are running DPM 2007.

Here are the details om the message I get on DPM-Remote:

Protection agent version: 2.0.8861.0
    Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 308
    The protection agent operation failed because DPM could not communicate with the Protection Agent service on DPM-SERVER.

Detailed error code: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

Recommended action: 

If you recently installed a protection agent on DPM-SERVER, the computer may be restarting. Wait a few minutes after restarting the computer for the protection agent to become available. If the problem persists, do the following:
    1) Verify that DPM-SERVER is remotely accessible from the DPM server.
    2) If a firewall is enabled on DPM-SERVER, verify that it is not blocking requests from the DPM server.
    3) Restart the DPM Protection Agent service on DPM-SERVER. If the service fails to start, uninstall the protection agent by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel on DPM-SERVER. Then in the Management task area, on the Agents tab, in the Actions pane, click Install to reinstall the protection agent on DPM-SERVER.

Here are the details of the message I get on DPM-Server:

Protection agent version: 2.0.8861.0
    Error: Data Protection Manager Error ID: 300
    The protection agent operation failed because it could not communicate with DPM-REMOTE. 

Detailed error code: The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706BA)

Recommended action: 

Do the following to troubleshoot this issue:
    1) Verify that DPM-REMOTE is online and remotely accessible from the DPM server.
    2) If a firewall is enabled on DPM-REMOTE, verify that it is not blocking requests from the DPM server.
    3) Verify that Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) is configured on both the DPM server and the protected computer. If IPsec is only configured for one computer, turn off IPsec.

Orin Eisenhauer
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• What type of VPN are you using? I suspect the problem may be due to a firewall between the DPM servers blokcing traffic. Perhaps on one or both of the VPN Endpoints. Make sure the ports listed in the article below are open all the way from DPM server to DPM server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx

Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:34 PM
  • At the moment we are using a standard Microsoft PPTP connection for the VPN.  The Windows firewall is off on both servers so once the VPN connection is established shouldn't it be an open connection between teh two servers?  Is there a way to test if the ports are open all the way through?
    Orin Eisenhauer
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:31 PM
  • Is the DPM server also the VPN server? Hopefully not, as the DPM server should be dedicated to DPM.

To test tcp ports you can use tcpview:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:50 PM
  • No the DPM server is not the VPN server.  There is just the VPN client on DPM-Remote.

I will try tcp view and get back with my results.

Thank you,

Orin Eisenhauer
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:16 PM
  • hi

can you also check the connection with the Domain controller and wither the RPC ports are open between the two sites, you can also run an Network Monitor on both nodes to check where exactly the communication dropped as marc said above this error is related to firewall issue or some kind of policy which drop the RPC connection make sure that there is no RPC restrictions on the communication way between the two sites Like any Physical firewall installed between the two sites.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, December 3, 2010 1:26 PM
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Well I think you are pointing me in the right direction.  I was not the one that set up teh VPN and I forgot that it was going through an ISA server.  I modified the ISA access rules and I got a different error message which I am dealing with but it does look like the two DPM systems are talking.  I will post back when I get my known issues resolved.

Orin Eisenhauer
    Friday, December 3, 2010 7:05 PM
  • It is good to hear you are making progress Orin. This article may help with getting ISA server configured:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929102

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:18 PM
  • Thank you Marc.  The ISA article was just what I needed once I realized that ISA was my problem.  In the access rule I created I had to put each of the protected servers as well as the primary DPM server before the secondary protection could be enabled.

Things appear to be working and replicating to secondary DPM.

Thank you again for the assistance.

Orin Eisenhauer
    Friday, December 3, 2010 8:46 PM