IT management take over RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced some one as manager and found that while logged in as Admin. I can not get to the control pannel on any of the work stations. How can I get to it?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

• I wonder if your last admin used group policy to keep people from going into the control panel.  I would use the Group Policy Management Console and do a "Group Policy Results" report against one of those machines, with your admin account as the user account, and see if you can find the policy setting in question.

"Troubleshooting Group Policy Problems" - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787386.aspx

Please bear in mind that this probably wasn't the best place to post this.  There are technology specific forums that can help with these kinds of issues.  This forum is really supposed to be for IT Manager discussions.

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:28 PM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:17 AM
  • This sounds like a Group Policy situation to me.  Since the control panel can be removed or hidden with Group Policy, as Kevin stated above this could be the reason it is missing.

I would look through all the GPOs in place to see if this is the case and determine which OUs have them applied.  You could likely create an OU for Admins and put your user account in there (assuming the GPOs are assigned to OUs and not all to the domain).

The setting appears in the following area in a policy

User configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Prohibit access to the control panel.

the GPMC should be able to show you the settings within each GPO and produce a model for your user account with Group Policy Modeling.

Hope this helps

Derek
    Derek Schauland, MCSE | 2008 Microsoft MVP | Technology Addict
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:42 PM

All replies

• I replaced some one as manager and found that while logged in as Admin. I can not get to the control pannel on any of the work stations. How can I get to it?

If you cant see the control panel i dont think you admin rights maybe crate a new user with admin rights
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 4:38 AM
  • I wonder if your last admin used group policy to keep people from going into the control panel.  I would use the Group Policy Management Console and do a "Group Policy Results" report against one of those machines, with your admin account as the user account, and see if you can find the policy setting in question.

"Troubleshooting Group Policy Problems" - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787386.aspx

Please bear in mind that this probably wasn't the best place to post this.  There are technology specific forums that can help with these kinds of issues.  This forum is really supposed to be for IT Manager discussions.

Kevin Remde US IT Evangelism - Microsoft Corporation http://blogs.technet.com/kevinremde
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Remde Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:23 AM
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 10:17 AM
  • I checked my Admin. rights and they are set to full.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:06 PM
  • This sounds like a Group Policy situation to me.  Since the control panel can be removed or hidden with Group Policy, as Kevin stated above this could be the reason it is missing.

I would look through all the GPOs in place to see if this is the case and determine which OUs have them applied.  You could likely create an OU for Admins and put your user account in there (assuming the GPOs are assigned to OUs and not all to the domain).

The setting appears in the following area in a policy

User configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Prohibit access to the control panel.

the GPMC should be able to show you the settings within each GPO and produce a model for your user account with Group Policy Modeling.

Hope this helps

Derek
    Derek Schauland, MCSE | 2008 Microsoft MVP | Technology Addict
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 1:42 PM