CCMSetup fails Error Code 80070005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have successfully deployed my System Center Client to 95% of my workstations but am running into an issue with a few.  

On our network we have about 7 workstations running ReadyPos7 (an XP embedded solution for Point of Sale) with the exact hardware and software build.  3 of them accepted the Client install through push without a hitch but 4 of them will not install the client no matter what I do (have tried using push and manually installing it).  The error I get is  -- 

File C:\Windows\ccmsetup\{4D87A80B-6971-43EF-A59F-8088D214378A}\client.msi installation failed. Error text: ExitCode: 1603
    Action: CcmRegisterWFGina.
    ErrorMessages:
    Setup failed due to unexpected circumstances
    The error code is 80070005

In my searching I found lots of information dealing with System Center 2007 client installs failing similarly and tried those fixes (Dcomcnfg / Windows Management Instrumentation repository recreation) but nothing seems to work.  Anyone have any suggestions or anything that worked for someone else?

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:04 PM

Answers

• Well, there must be something different about it then. Have you monitored the installation with ProcessMonitor to see if you can identify why you are getting an Access Denied error code during that custom action. Based on the message, it's trying to set the GINA -- which only happens during OSD for XP -- but it can't because its getting an access denied. That could be for a variety of reasons including ACLs, anti-virus, etc. Beyond that, I can't tell you anything else except to roll up your sleeves and start troubleshooting.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:17 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2015 8:21 PM

All replies

• 80070005 = Access Denied

Looks like this is happening in the CcmRegisterWFGina action.

Have you reviewed client.msi.log in details? Specifically searching for the text "return value 3" and then examining the log lines upward from there to find the exact issue?

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Monday, May 18, 2015 5:41 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Sorry for the delay and thanks for the help.  Here is what I am seeing upward from "return value 3" in the client.msi.log file.

MSI (s) (78:20) [08:16:13:421]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI166.tmp, Entrypoint: CcmRegisterWFGina
    [8:16:14] ERROR: Failed to set current GINA to WriteFilterGina.dll, hr = 0x80070005
    [8:16:14] @@ERR:25001
    MSI (s) (78!14) [08:16:14:108]: Product: Configuration Manager Client -- Error 25001. Setup failed due to unexpected circumstances
    Error 25001. Setup failed due to unexpected circumstances

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:39 PM
  • Do you have a custom GINA in use?

You will probably have to open a Microsoft customer support services (CSS) case for this.

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:51 PM
  • Hmm, this is running Windows PosReady 7 which is an XP embedded Microsoft made for point of sale.  I have 3 other terminals running the same software / configured the same way and they installed the Configuration Manager client without an issue.
    Friday, May 22, 2015 7:51 PM
  • Well, there must be something different about it then. Have you monitored the installation with ProcessMonitor to see if you can identify why you are getting an Access Denied error code during that custom action. Based on the message, it's trying to set the GINA -- which only happens during OSD for XP -- but it can't because its getting an access denied. That could be for a variety of reasons including ACLs, anti-virus, etc. Beyond that, I can't tell you anything else except to roll up your sleeves and start troubleshooting.

• Proposed as answer by Joyce L Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Joyce L Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:17 AM
    Friday, May 22, 2015 8:21 PM