Outlook - While typing in body of mail, creates appointment instantly for the next 30 minute block. Reminder pops up RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a user on Office 2016 (w7) who anytime he is typing in an email, it will stop, create an appointment with the letters he is typing in and make it for the next 30 minute block (so if it happens at 10:20, the appointment will be at 10:30).

I have repaired office, reinstalled office, and created a new profile for him.  Nothing seems to have it work.  I thought it could possibly be a keyboard malfunction, but he has stated another user in his dept is starting to get it as well.

What's the crazy part, is that it doesn't prompt an appointment/meeting window, it just creates it and he then has a meeting in 10 minutes with only the letter a in the title.

Let me know if there is any more information you need.

Thursday, October 26, 2017 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does this issue persist if we try to use Outlook in safe mode? To open Outlook in safe mode, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and press Enter. I guess that a problematic 3rd-party add-in is causing this issue. When starting Outlook in safe mode, all add-ins will be disabled.

If the issue would be gone in safe mode, we may go to File > Options > Add-ins, disable all add-ins. Then, re-enable these add-ins one-by-one at a time, until this issue comes back. The last enabled add-in is the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:58 AM
    Friday, October 27, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Thanks for the input.

After exhausting every aspect, we didn't realize he had a 3rd party scheduling application that was affecting this (wasn't listed in add-ins).

We disabled that and it worked.

thanks for the followup!

Friday, October 27, 2017 3:52 PM
  • Great! Glad to hear that you have fond the cause. 

By the way, could you help mark the reply that helps as the answer, so that it will be easy for other community members who are encountering similar issue to quickly find the verified method? Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 9:58 AM
  • What would the solution be if launching in safe mode doesn't fix it?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:41 PM
  • What would be the source of the problem if the issue persists in safe mode?
    • Edited by Ben K ACIBS Tuesday, March 26, 2019 2:22 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 2:22 AM
  • Dear McKupo… thanks for half the answer :-)

Would you like to share what application you removed? Could it be Calendly?

Thursday, April 18, 2019 1:37 PM
  • I am having the same problem after connecting my Calendly account.  However, I really like the program so I hope it is just a coincidence and not the problem.
    Monday, May 20, 2019 9:36 PM
  • Hi i had the same problem. Deleted Calendly and no more problems! :)
    Friday, October 25, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Same problem in year 2020, Calendly  was the culprit (thought my client was losing it, until i seen it in person) 
    Thursday, January 16, 2020 4:14 AM