none
OLAP doesn't calculate "Cost" correctly RRS feed

Answers

  • I forgot to post an update on this thread when we found what was causing the problem.  At some point, someone had made some entries in the "Fixed Cost" column (which we don't normally use).  Tasks that had a negative dollar value entered into the "Fixed Cost" column were subtracting from the total in the "Cost" column.  We cleared all of the entries in the "Fixed Cost" column and everything rolled up correctly.

    Daren Johnson

    Monday, April 9, 2012 12:58 PM

All replies

  • Hi Daren, is the cost solely made up of resource?  It would be interesting to expand both to a daily view, to see if the values are exactly the same per day?  Presumably the cube rebuilds okay.  What about a non-cube data, ie a report directly from the reporting DB - you can get a summary total value per year, and on a single date.  It might begin to point the where the inconsistency is.

    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 6:57 PM
    Moderator
  • Thanks for the thoughts Ben.  I expanded everything down to the day and the SSRS and OLAP data matched on 20 of the 23 level of effort tasks in January.  Both of those were different than what Pro is calculating on three particular tasks.

    For example, a level of effort task in the schedule has one resource assigned with a rate of $124.89/hr.  It's a fixed duration task with 1.7 hours over 21 work days.  Simple math would say that 124.89 x 1.7 = $212.31 which is exactly what is showing in SSRS and OLAP.  However, Project calculates the cost of that task at: $210.11:

    I looked at the resource usage and it breaks down the hours to .08 per day.  .08 (using all the decimals) divided out works out to $212.31, which matches SSRS and OLAP, but still doesn't match Pro.

    Obviously, rounding plays some part in all of this... but why do 20 out of 23 tasks come out exact between the three tools?  you'd think if one wasn't calculating correctly, all of them wouldn't calculate correctly.


    Daren Johnson


    Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:05 PM
  • I wonder if some corruption found its way into your schedule, because I cannot reproduce the problem.  For me, Project calculates $212.31.


    Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

    Sunday, April 8, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I forgot to post an update on this thread when we found what was causing the problem.  At some point, someone had made some entries in the "Fixed Cost" column (which we don't normally use).  Tasks that had a negative dollar value entered into the "Fixed Cost" column were subtracting from the total in the "Cost" column.  We cleared all of the entries in the "Fixed Cost" column and everything rolled up correctly.

    Daren Johnson

    Monday, April 9, 2012 12:58 PM