none
Service Alert with a Specific naming convention -SCOM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using SCOM 2016. I have set alert for windows services for different-2 servers and it is working fine.

Now i want to setup alert for different-2 windows services but all services naming convention start with "XYZ". Is there any way to setup alerts for this type.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:06 AM

Answers

• As said in the blog : 

In Brian Wren’s instructions he used TypeID=”Windows!Microsoft,Windows.Win32…” The Alias in my custom console generated MP is MicrosoftWindowsLibrary7585010! If you run into any errors keep in mind that whatever alias is present in the manifest references must be consistent. I haven’t tested to confirm, but based on the output it looks like the console MP generated alias is based on MP+Version Number. If you have a different version of the MP and you follow my steps exactly you will likely hit an error as the Alias I provide for Microsoft.Windows.Library is going to be off by a few numbers from yours. If this is the case just modify the alias in my example to match what you have in the rest of the .xml file.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Of course you can, what's your issue exactly?
    Monday, September 30, 2019 9:52 PM

All replies

• Two approaches : 

- Discover all services as instance of a class, then create a monitor based on that class (read here for example : http://www.opsconfig.com/how-do-i-create-a-wildcard-scom-service-monitor-and-recovery/ )

- Use a scripted monitor (powershell or vbs)

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hello,

I tried to do it as per link. But when i am importing Management Pack , i receive error

"OpsConfigWildCardServiceMonitor could not be imported.

If any management packs in the Import list are dependent on this management pack, the installation of the dependent management packs will fail.

Cannot resolve identifier MicrosoftWindowsLibrary7585010!Microsoft.Windows.WmiProviderWithClassSnapshotDataMapper in the context of management pack OpsConfigWildCardServiceMonitor. Unknown alias: MicrosoftWindowsLibrary7585010"

Could you please suggest where i m doing wrong

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:45 AM
  • As said in the blog : 

In Brian Wren’s instructions he used TypeID=”Windows!Microsoft,Windows.Win32…” The Alias in my custom console generated MP is MicrosoftWindowsLibrary7585010! If you run into any errors keep in mind that whatever alias is present in the manifest references must be consistent. I haven’t tested to confirm, but based on the output it looks like the console MP generated alias is based on MP+Version Number. If you have a different version of the MP and you follow my steps exactly you will likely hit an error as the Alias I provide for Microsoft.Windows.Library is going to be off by a few numbers from yours. If this is the case just modify the alias in my example to match what you have in the rest of the .xml file.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

were you able to solve this? Did you look into the suggestion of CyrAz? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Friday, September 13, 2019 8:35 AM
  • Also Kevin Holman published a few days ago a code fragment that answers exactly this requirement : https://kevinholman.com/2019/09/08/how-to-discover-and-monitor-a-service-with-a-wildcard-for-the-service-name/
    Friday, September 13, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Thanks a lot CyrAz<abbr class="affil"></abbr>.

Now how can i send alerts, if any of those services goes down. I dont want to restart them.. but i need alert if those services goes down.

Thanks

Monday, September 30, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Of course you can, what's your issue exactly?
    Monday, September 30, 2019 9:52 PM
  • Hello CyrAz,

I did all the things according to your post and links. Alerts are working.

Now i want alerts when these services come up after stopping. Could you please suggest

Thursday, November 14, 2019 3:02 PM