none
Emulation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I work for an agency that uses a public safety program that only works with IE8/9, which support for these browsers is being dropped. The county we are based in is "supporting" this program from a major vendor that apparently sees no need to get it updated to support IE11. I started messing around with running the program in IE11 through various methods. I first tried Enterprise Mode, but that will not work with files that are on the local drive. I ended up adding a meta tag to all of the HTML files that renders the pages in IE emulation mode. When clicking an event button it pulls current data from county servers and populates a table, you can then click on an event for more information. The second time you click an event button the table is shrunk down to about half the width of the browser window and clicking an event results in an error. Close the program then reopen and it works initially again, then error the second time. This never happens when running in IE 8 or 9, only when using IE11 in emulation mode. I suspect there is an issue with how JavaScript is being handled but don't know for sure. If you specify running IE9 emulation for example, does that mean HTML and JavaScript are handled exactly the same as that version of the browser? Anybody have any other ideas on emulation? We are kind of stuck in a bad place with this as multiple municipalities all rely on this. Thanks
    Monday, January 4, 2016 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I read your post for a long time, let me see if I understand.

You and your colleagues need to use IE browser to run a public safety program, but you find that IE11 can’t meet your demand, meanwhile, IE8/9 have not been supported.

Therefore, you want change Document mode in F12 developer tools to let program run normally, but you have question about IE11 emulation mode.

Let’s understand document mode firstly.

When we pick a version other than IE11, IE11 renders webpages as if we were using that version of the browser. It even changes the default user agent string the browser is sending. We can manually set a different string using the User agent string menu in the Mode section.

As a result, about your question, if we specify running IE9 emulation for example, the IE11 will renders webpage as IE9, given current condition, I advise you have a try.

In addition, Compatibility View can also be a method, please add your website into the Compatibility View list to see the result.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I read your post for a long time, let me see if I understand.

You and your colleagues need to use IE browser to run a public safety program, but you find that IE11 can’t meet your demand, meanwhile, IE8/9 have not been supported.

Therefore, you want change Document mode in F12 developer tools to let program run normally, but you have question about IE11 emulation mode.

Let’s understand document mode firstly.

When we pick a version other than IE11, IE11 renders webpages as if we were using that version of the browser. It even changes the default user agent string the browser is sending. We can manually set a different string using the User agent string menu in the Mode section.

As a result, about your question, if we specify running IE9 emulation for example, the IE11 will renders webpage as IE9, given current condition, I advise you have a try.

In addition, Compatibility View can also be a method, please add your website into the Compatibility View list to see the result.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Hi,
    If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:23 AM