none
Windows 8 Music App not showing all of my Playlists RRS feed

• Question

• I really enjoy the new Windows 8 Music App, but I am having a problem:

1. I have all my music in a Library located in my local hard disk.

2. I am creating playlists for my mp3 albums and I am saving those playlists inside of each folder containing the mp3 files.

3. When I open the Windows 8 Music App, the program shows must of the playlists but NOT all.

4. Sometimes I create a new playlist, and the App finds the playlist right away.

5. The only way I can "force" the Music App to load some of the new Playlists is by uninstalling and the reinstalling the App.

So my question is: is there a way to manually rescan my Music library so the Music App can find the new playlists??? Is there a way to manually select and add playlist to the Music App???

Thanks,

• Edited by Mad Turkey Monday, October 8, 2012 8:26 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the playlist appear if you close the Music App by Task Manager, then re-open it to locate the folder you place the playlist?

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:41 AM
  • Handling of playlists is not exactly one of the strengths of the Music app. In fact, there are more questions than answers.

Here is the problem:
    In my media library there are 5 playlists. All work beautifully in Windows Media Player. One of them is in *.wpl-format, while the remaining four lists are in *.m3u-format.

After completing installation of the Music app I find only three of them in the app. Performing an Import of playlists through the dialogue in the Music app does not change anything.

So I started digging into the Forums. Right here in this Forum ("Export List of Playlists from Metro Interface"), I found the information that the Music App cannot handle m3u-playlists. However, this is not true: two of the three lists that were successfully imported into the Music app are actually in m3u Format. Also, when you try to play a m3u-list by going through the open file dialogue in the Music app, the app will play the list without complaint, and give you a neat listing of the tracks when asked to do so. Interestingly enough, applying this workaround, the app will play any m3u list, including those which it had refused to import.

What is the reason for that behaviour of the app? Remembering the old days, it comes to my mind that in Media Player you can configure, how many playlists will be shown in the navigation pane of the library: either the last five, or all. Why such a thing needs to be configured, will always remain a secret to me: I assume, if I have a library, then its contents will be displayed completely and by default - that's why I have a library, right? If you had more than five lists, you would go nuts looking for your 6th list - if the option "show only the last five" was ticked. But first you had to guess that such a dialogue would even exist, and second: you needed to find that dialogue!

Perhaps the programmers decided to continue the tradition of hiding playlists and putting up hurdles to find the respective settings-dialogue in the Music app?

Any other explanations? Would love to hear those.

Monday, November 5, 2012 5:10 PM