List Content Type - assign metadata values RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document library, for which I am creating multiple list content types (requirements, test plans, etc.)

The document library has 2 metadata columns - project (a lookup list) and a choice column called "category" (with options such as test "requirements", "test plan" etc.)

What I'd like is for a given list content type to automatically (or at least set the default) to a specific choice in my category column. So if I use the Requirements list content type, I want the category column to be set to "Requirements".

I'll add that my list content types don't quite sync up with the options in my Category choice column - which is why I require the category column instead of just using the Content Type column.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:53 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As far as I know, default column value cannot be set on the content type.

As a workaround, I would suggest you use workflow or Power Automate to set the category column vaule automatically. The logic should be: if the content type equals Requirements, set category column "Requirements".

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020 7:47 AM