"Windows Easy Transfer couldn't open the file" on second attempt to recover files/settings RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced my hard drive (old one failed) and because I had only recently installed Windows 7 and had used WET to transfer files/settings, I thought I could easily recover my data using the same files transferred from XP.  Alas, when I run WET on the new machine, while I can see the *.migXX files are present, when I select the file named "Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer" (no extension) and attempt to xfer the files I get the above error. 

Back in January when I initially installed Windows 7 and used WET everything worked fine.  I'd really like to get back all my settings. 

Way ahead please? 

Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Try to use the MigRecover Utility to extract your old user profile from the MIG file:

1. Download the MigRecover Utility from the following link:

http://www.visser.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Migrecover_4.zip

2.Rename your MIG file to SaveData.MIG
    3.Move your SaveData.MIG to C:\
    4.Extract the MigRecover.zip archive to C:\, this will create a folder called C:\MigRecover on your system, and contain the files necessary to run the utility
    5.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, then right click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator
    6.Type the bolded text, and press <Enter> MD C:\MIGRECOVER\RECOVER
    7.Type the bolded text, and press <Enter> CD C:\MIGRECOVER
    8.Type the bolded text, and press <Enter> MIGRECOVER.EXE C:\SaveData.MIG C:\MIGRECOVER\RECOVER [PASSWORD]

NOTE: Input the password you used to help protect your transfer file. If your password is "123", the command line should be
    MIGRECOVER.EXE C:\SaveData.MIG C:\MIGRECOVER\RECOVER 123

8.The data will be extracted, if successful, to C:\MigRecover\Recover folder
    9. Manually copy your user profile to new user account folder.

Thomas77
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:55 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Try to use the MigRecover Utility to extract your old user profile from the MIG file:

1. Download the MigRecover Utility from the following link:

http://www.visser.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Migrecover_4.zip

2.Rename your MIG file to SaveData.MIG
    3.Move your SaveData.MIG to C:\
    4.Extract the MigRecover.zip archive to C:\, this will create a folder called C:\MigRecover on your system, and contain the files necessary to run the utility
    5.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, then right click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator
    6.Type the bolded text, and press <Enter> MD C:\MIGRECOVER\RECOVER
    7.Type the bolded text, and press <Enter> CD C:\MIGRECOVER
    8.Type the bolded text, and press <Enter> MIGRECOVER.EXE C:\SaveData.MIG C:\MIGRECOVER\RECOVER [PASSWORD]

NOTE: Input the password you used to help protect your transfer file. If your password is "123", the command line should be
    MIGRECOVER.EXE C:\SaveData.MIG C:\MIGRECOVER\RECOVER 123

8.The data will be extracted, if successful, to C:\MigRecover\Recover folder
    9. Manually copy your user profile to new user account folder.

Thomas77
    Monday, February 22, 2010 7:55 AM
  • Thomas77 - thanks, but a couple of questions:  I actually show 19 files - the first one of type "Easy Transfer File" that has no extension, and the other 18 of type "mig file" with extensions .mig01, .mig02 .... thru .mig18.

So do I run the utility against just the first file after renaming it?  Or something else?

Cheers,

Gary

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:23 AM
  • Gary,

Did you recieve an answer. I am in the same situation? I need help.

Puneet

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:56 AM
  • The MIGRECOVER utility worked for me.  I did run it multiple times specifying each of the mig archives (ie: .MIG01, .MIG02, etc).  It recovered 99% of the contents noting that some items were corrupt and unable to be recovered.  It made for a very happy end user!

Friday, August 13, 2010 5:52 PM
  • MIGRECOVER.EXE is not a recognizable intnernal or external command prompt... so much for this fix...

Friday, April 5, 2013 12:29 PM
  • I'm guessing you ran the commands from a cmd prompt that did not contain the .exe

Did you extract the exe?

Did you run the cmd from the folder containging the exe?

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:24 PM