Vista Ultimate upgrade of MCE05 causes hardware difficulty RRS feed

• Question

• Running Vista Ultimate as an upgrade on XP Media Center 05.  My system
    is a Dell Inspiron 9300.  It has 2gb RAM.

I am having device driver issues.  Prior to upgrading my XP laptop, I picked up a spare HDD, and did a full clean install of Vista on the drive installed on that laptop to ensure that my critical apps and drivers wold continue to work on this system.  After 4 weeks of testing it out, I went for the upgrade of the original HDD in the system.  And this is where my trouble begins.

I cannot connect any external USB hard drives.  I cannot connect either of my digital cameras via USB.  The built-in SD-Card reader does not work.  According to Device Manager, the drivers were there.

I swapped back to the spare drive, and confirmed that everything was in working order there.  I went bak to my primary system, and uninstalled the trouble devices in Device Manager.  I removed all the USB controllers and root hubs,and the SD Card reader.  I expected that when Vista restarted, it would redetect the hardware, reinstall the drivers, and all would be A-OK.

Alas, this is not to be.  Now Vista cannot find drivers for devices that it had previously installed.    It cannot install the USB controllers, it cannot install the SD Card reader.  Vista keeps checking Windows Update, but doesn't find the solution there either.  I have put the Vista install DVD in the drive, and there is still no joy.

What the hell is going on?
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 8:19 PM