Unable to Find LiteTouch.wsf - External USB 3.0 drive detection latency / Availability RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a situation where I am receiving an "Unable to find LiteTouch.wsf needed to continue the deployment" when deploying an operating system from an external USB drive on an laptop (Dell Ultrabook - XPS 13 9343 specifically) that uses USB 3.0 ports exclusively.

Some Observations:

• After the OS is installed and the Windows desktop first appears, a Notification appears stating that it's "Installing device driver software". Clicking on the notification reveals that it installed the USB Host Controller but requires a RestartAs a result the external USB drive is never installed and assigned a drive letter.
    • Rebooting the machine detects the USB drive and allows you to launch LiteTouch.wsf, but it then continuously complains about a dirty environment because the task sequence never successfully launched the first time.
    • To compound the problem, the USB drive can take up to 40 seconds to be detected and assigned drive letter when the windows desktop appears after a task sequence initiated reboot. Litetouch.wfs has already been triggered by the Startup folder well before this.

Some Background:

• All required drivers are in USB Drive that is rendered by MDT
    • This same USB solution works fine on an older Ultrabook when we use it's USB 2.0 port. The problem with the latest Ultrabook is that all of its USB ports are 3.0.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Is there a way to ensure that the USB is installed and available the very first time Windows launches and prior to LiteTouch.wfs being triggered?

Could the performance of Windows running on an SSD drive cause latency on detecting the USB drive?

I appreciate any feedback!

Rob

• Edited by Rob_3_5 Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 3:47 PM

Answers

• Just a quick update on this. I found that disabling the USB 3.0 Controller in the BIOS allows me to deploy to the laptop (I'm assuming it's reverts to USB 1.0 or 2.0).

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, March 16, 2015 7:43 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:06 PM

All replies

• Have you checked if USB 3.0 drivers are present in your selection profile? May be including the USB 3.0 drivers in the selection profile (or driver group if you are using it) and injecting before apply OS step will help. This will avoid the time required for the USB drivers to be installed. 
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 5:06 PM
  • Hello anuragyadav

Correct. As you've stated I've set up the task sequence so that driver selection profiles are applied in the Pre-Install group prior to the Install Operating System task sequence.

The USB 3.0 drivers for whatever reason require a reboot when the Windows desktop comes up the first time, I don't see this restart requirement with other drivers on the other desktops and laptops we deploy to.

Thank you for the recommendation, I appreciate it.

Rob

Thursday, March 12, 2015 6:59 PM
  • Just a quick update on this. I found that disabling the USB 3.0 Controller in the BIOS allows me to deploy to the laptop (I'm assuming it's reverts to USB 1.0 or 2.0).

• Proposed as answer by Ty Glander Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Monday, March 16, 2015 7:43 PM
    Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:06 PM