Some Issues with Desktop Window Manager (constantly crashing) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm running the 32bit version of the RC. My GPU ist a ATI Radeon HD2600 XT and I'm using the wddm certified driver, offered by Windows-Update. The related performance ratings are above 5.5
    My problem is, that the Desktop Window Manager crashes everytime I run WMP or the system volume using the hotkeys of my ms keyboard (laser desktop 6000) and all aero effects disappear. Also the "load-meter" mini-app seems to cause the dwm to crash and beyond that looks very strange (apperance changing)
     Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
    Once the dwm crashed and aero is off the "load-meter" is displayed normal.
    I observed a similar phenomenon after i single crash of the dwm (aero not disappeared) on the title bar of some windows.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

There are some more crashes, which I can't reproduce.
    In most cases the dwm crashes once, in some of them aero disappears, sometimes not. Sometimes the dwm crashes twice in less then 5 seconds. aero dissapaers everytime this happens.

hopefully someone can help me to solve this problem.

kind regards, enrico

ps: perhaps someone can explain to me in which way dwm and aero are related.

• Edited by enrico-bln Friday, June 19, 2009 7:33 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2009 5:40 PM

All replies

• enrico-bln,

Have you tried the latest drivers from ATI?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 7:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Now, the installed driver is the latest and is officially win7 compatible, too, but nothing changed.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:09 PM
  • enrico-bln,

Is there anything in your event log? Was this a clean install or an upgrade?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:18 PM
    Answerer
  • There is a delay between when a driver is published and when Windows Update picks it up and offers it.

The latest driver is 9.6, https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/9-6_vista32_win7_32_dd.exe, dated 6/15/09.  It is advertised as being WHQL.
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:30 PM
  • thank you for the link. I just found 9.5 on support.amd.com.

Installing this driver doesn't help anything.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:30 AM
  • hi!

you mentioned that you are using the MS laser desktop 6000 keyboard and used the hotkey in it to access WMP, right? does it always happen when doing so? have you tried manually accessing WMP in windows to see if it behaves just the same?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:15 PM
  • hi!

No, you missunderstood me. I'm using the hotkeys to change system volume. This causes the DWM to crash. I think in fact it is the small volume bar appearing in the bottom right corner of the screen, which causes the crash.
    The way WMP is accessed doesn't matter. DWM isn't crasghing on launch of wmp, but when I change to the now-playing mode or start video playback.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 8:31 PM
  • nobody an idea!? -.-
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:30 AM
  • eventlog says the DWM was aborded with Code (0x40010004)
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:23 PM
  • enrico-bln,

Is there more to the event log error message? That code has been seen with access denied or incorrect function messages, and I'm curious which it is with you.
    Did you recently set your machine to run with no password?

Friday, June 26, 2009 3:08 PM
    Answerer
  • hi dwolters

I have two accounts on my machine. One admin with password and a standard user without password. In common I'm using the standard user account. I can't imagine that this is causing these graphic errors, but I'll give it a try an set a password.

edit: no change, but i found an other message in the eventlog, which claims atidxx32.dll to cause the fault. There are a few of these messages. (I'm not fit in using the eventlog, just used a wrong mode before) Thus it's clearly a driver issue. I'm wondering why nobody else reports this problem. It can't be a corrupted driver install, because I installed and (clean) uninstalled a few versions of the driver and the crashes occured everytime.

Maybe the next release of the driver fixes what ever is wrong.
    • Edited by enrico-bln Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:23 AM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 8:57 AM