none
Upgraded to MDT8456 - Script overwritten RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently upgraded our MDT build and ADK to the latest versions.

We did have some custom wizard screens which we had referenced in the main DeployWiz_Definition_ENU XML file.

After performing the upgrade, it appears this file was overwritten losing all the references to the custom .vbs script and XML files we had written to perform certain tasks during the Wizard process.

Should this of happened and is it standard for this file to be replaced?

We had shadow copied enabled and I had taken a snapshot of our server prior to upgrade but it would be useful to know if this is a standard thing when upgrading the build of MDT and the deployment share.

I am also concerned some of our other files have been replaced./overwritten but it does appear to only be the above XML from our testing so far.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:48 PM

All replies

• Yes, that's normal. That's part of the reason it's best to avoid custom changes to MDT in that fashion if possible. Sometimes it is necessary so be sure to backup your modified files and to document your changes.

Files that are designed to be modified, such as customsettings.ini will not be replaced during an upgrade.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:56 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification Daniel, much appreciated, fairly new to MDT after taking it on so bits like this are good to be aware of.

We have a lot of customers that we deploy machines to, so we have created custom screens to choose customers and then dynamically change host name based upon different what the engineer selects through the custom wizard screens. 

Is there a list of files that get changed during the upgrade process or is it all the 'standard' files in the Scripts folder?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:40 PM
  • Everything in the scripts folder. That said if you add custom files into scripts, they will not be removed.

It sounds like you could accomplish what you want in customsettings if you use defaultgateway, sql database or other means. See - https://deploymentbunny.com/2012/04/21/back-to-basic-customsettings-ini-explained/

As for a list of files, not that I know of off hand.

Daniel Vega

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:39 PM