none
odata problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have an odata feed. The Metadata response has ~100 columns. The Read response (the data) has four column. In the resulting Power Query table I see all 100 metadata columns whereas I expected to see only four - those from the Read response. What would cause that?
    Friday, February 14, 2014 3:39 PM

Answers

• This is consistent with the OData spec. The shape of an OData entity is defined by its metadata. A field that is omitted has a value of null but is still present in some fashion.

From a strictly practical perspective, there's an additional consideration. The serialization formats for OData don't have a structural guarantee of rectangularity. So just because a given column wasn't present in the first 1000 rows of data does not mean it won't be present in row 1001.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 4:30 PM

All replies

• This is consistent with the OData spec. The shape of an OData entity is defined by its metadata. A field that is omitted has a value of null but is still present in some fashion.

From a strictly practical perspective, there's an additional consideration. The serialization formats for OData don't have a structural guarantee of rectangularity. So just because a given column wasn't present in the first 1000 rows of data does not mean it won't be present in row 1001.
    Friday, February 14, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Thanks Curt. That's good detail that I wasn't aware of.

- Chris

Saturday, February 15, 2014 4:56 PM