none
In PWA access Project Detail Pages Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have tried for weeks to resolve an issue where an admin/full control user can not access a form in PWA that was created. The only thing this user can see if the script we have written that states, "This page is only editable by the Administrator."

We have worked hours and hours with Microsoft to no avail.

Does anyone have suggestions for resolving this issue?

*Checked the user permissions for the site and the page; They have full Access to the page.

*Checked the permissions for Project Server 2010; They have full Access to the page.

*Checked the permissions on Central Admin Page; They have full Access to the page.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:40 PM

All replies

• Let me make sure I understand...

1) You have a PDP

2) The PDP has a couple of webparts.  One of those Webparts is a Content Editor Webpart that includes instructions.

3) When anyone but the admin accesses the PDP, they see the Webparts

4) When the admin accesses the PDP they do not see the Webparts

Is it possible that you're using audiences on the webparts and/or have a personal version of the page created for the admin?

What happens if you give another user admin rights?  Do they lose access to the page.

Has page security been modified?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 2:07 AM
  • 1) You have a PDP- Yes

2) The PDP has a couple of webparts.  One of those Webparts is a Content Editor Webpart that includes instructions. - Yes

3) When anyone but the admin accesses the PDP, they see the Webparts - Yes and No. The "New" admin can't even see it. But the old Admin can.

4) When the admin accesses the PDP they do not see the Webparts- This is correct, for some reason the one user that was set up as the admin has complete and total access to everything and can view everything. We have added others to the Admin group and mirrored their user information after the original admin. Yet none of them have the same visibility.

Is it possible that you're using audiences on the webparts and/or have a personal version of the page created for the admin? It appears to be a personal version of the page created by the previous admin. We've given the user Admin rights and yet they still can't see the page. When I try to duplicate the page settings or publish it there are all kinds of messages that pop up and I didn't want to break the original user, since that one still works.

What happens if you give another user admin rights?  Do they lose access to the page.- Nope the original user always has access and can see it unless the page is checked out.

Has page security been modified? I'm not sure how to look into this option.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:03 PM
  • iLindyBella,

I think Andrew is correct. Please check if "Target Audience" feature is being used on the webpart. Audience feature is a SharePoint Functionality and works in parallel with the standard security of project Server. Here is an example.

To check if the Audience feature is the culprit:

1) Edit the page to view all webparts (as a user who can see all webparts)

2) Click on the webpart that is in question, and click Edit Webpart

3) In the Webpart properties pane, scroll all the way to the bottom and look for Target Audience option. See if there is anything specified there. 

if yes, then you have two options:

1) Add the new Admin to the Audience group specified

2) Delete the Audience group specification from that option, close and save all changes to the page.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

Another thing to check is if the administrator that can see the webpart maybe personalized the page (check if the user can switch between the personal view and shared view)?

I would check if another webpart is added, the settings replicated etc. and see if the new webpart is visible to all the users.

Hope this helps

Paul

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:34 PM
  • It turns out that the original PDP was created by a user and set to their profile vs. public. We had to recreate the PDP using the Administrative profile and set the PDP to Public. Now we can add users as needed to view/modify the PDP.
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 12:36 PM