none
licensing RRS feed

• Question

• Can somebody confirm how the proj server cals work , is this any site under pwa ? My client I think has been thinking this a SharePoint cal..
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:11 AM

Answers

• As I said, it depends what type of data does the user access.

If the user just accesses documents (or any none Project data), then he doesn't need a PS CAL.

If he accesses any Project Server data, ie risks, issues, deliverables, tasks, then he does need a PS CAL.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by Nikki Scott Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:55 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The no. of user who are going to access the EPM should have Project Server and SharePoint CALs. Since Project Professional will have the Project Server CAL. The project project managers who is going to use MS Project Professional does not require Project Server CAL.

If you have 100 users which includes 10 project managers. You require the below CALs.

SharePoint CAL 100

Project Server CAL 90

Thanks in advance, Taj

Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

Your question is not clear to me.

Project Server users need various CAL depending on the access they use (Project Pro and/or PWA).

At least they need Sharepoint standard and Enterprise CALs. Then also Project Server CAL. If they have the Project Pro CAL, Project Server CAL is included in it. As soon as they access Project Server data through PWA, they do need all the CALs (SharePoint std and Ent + Project Server). If they just connect to the Sharepoint Project Sites without accessing any Project Server data (risks, issues, deliverables, tasks) which unlikely, they just need the Sharepoint CALs.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:17 AM
  • I understand how the licensing works and the diff types however does a user who only accesses project sites with contribute access need a proj sever cal or is this just a SharePoint cal ? Imagine the user never accesses pwa.

I'm quite sure any site under pwa requires a project server cal ..

Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:27 AM
  • As I said, it depends what type of data does the user access.

If the user just accesses documents (or any none Project data), then he doesn't need a PS CAL.

If he accesses any Project Server data, ie risks, issues, deliverables, tasks, then he does need a PS CAL.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by Nikki Scott Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:55 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 10:46 AM