List Column: How to change type from "Single Line of Text" to "Person or Group" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a request to change a list column from "Single Line of Text" to "Person or Group". When I go the column's edit screen, there is no option to change it to "Person or Group". Can someone tell me how to do this?

thanks!

Thanks! ~Gone2TheDogs
    Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Gone2TheDogs,

The “Single Line of Text” is only some characters. There is no validation. But the “People or Group” is a type to put domain account. If the characters is not a format of domain account or the user is not exist, the validate will be fail. So , in SharePoint 2007 you can’t convert “Single Line of Text” to “People or Group” once the column was created. If you really want “People or Group”, I suggest you to create a new column, this column type is “People or Group”.

Thanks,

Jack

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Gone2TheDogs,

The “Single Line of Text” is only some characters. There is no validation. But the “People or Group” is a type to put domain account. If the characters is not a format of domain account or the user is not exist, the validate will be fail. So , in SharePoint 2007 you can’t convert “Single Line of Text” to “People or Group” once the column was created. If you really want “People or Group”, I suggest you to create a new column, this column type is “People or Group”.

Thanks,

Jack

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:23 AM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:39 AM
  • i agree with Jack the "Person or Group" field type associated with the domain account and related the user profiles in the share point the "Single line of text" related to the content you can change it to multiline or some other type just create one more field as per your requirement and hide the existing field. 
    Anil
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for the replies! I created a new column and I'm moving forward. I just wanted to be sure I took the best route for this issue.

Much appreciated!!!

Thanks! ~Gone2TheDogs
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:26 PM