Error: 0x800f0922 when trying to install NFS Server Feature on Windows 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the "Server for NFS" option under the File and Storage Services role on a Windows 2012R2 server, but I keep receiving an 0x800f0922 error. I've tried the install via the GUI and Powershell. I've also tried using the DISM utility with different source media for the install, but with the same result.   I ran "SFC /scannow"  to check for any missing files/reg keys but it returned no errors.  Any thoughts?
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:48 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the help!  I did try the suggested steps, but the issue persisted.  I was able to resolve the issue by removing software on the server that was using the NFS ports needed for successful installation of the native NFS server.   In our case it was an optional component of our backup software called"Veeam backup vPower NFS".   There is also a known issue with the Qlogic's SanSurfer software using the NFS ports. 

There were entries in the System event log that tipped me off:

• Event ID:      7000  The Server for NFS Open RPC (ONCRPC) Portmapper service failed to start due to the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    • Event ID:      7001  The Server for NFS Driver service depends on the Server for NFS Open RPC (ONCRPC) Portmapper service which failed to start because of the following error:

• Marked as answer by hickeynf Friday, November 22, 2013 3:08 PM
    • Edited by hickeynf Friday, November 22, 2013 3:11 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you receive the same error when installing any other roles on your Windows server 2012 R2 server?

Firstly, please try to install latest windows 2012 r2 general roll up update:

Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 General Availability Update Rollup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2883200

If that doesn't resolve the issue then proceed with the following commands:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Then get the CBS.log from C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below:

Fixing component store corruption in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2012/09/26/fixing-component-store-corruption-in-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012.aspx

Regards,
    • Edited by Mandy Ye Friday, November 22, 2013 9:21 AM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Thank you for the help!  I did try the suggested steps, but the issue persisted.  I was able to resolve the issue by removing software on the server that was using the NFS ports needed for successful installation of the native NFS server.   In our case it was an optional component of our backup software called"Veeam backup vPower NFS".   There is also a known issue with the Qlogic's SanSurfer software using the NFS ports. 

There were entries in the System event log that tipped me off:

• Event ID:      7000  The Server for NFS Open RPC (ONCRPC) Portmapper service failed to start due to the following error:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning.
    • Event ID:      7001  The Server for NFS Driver service depends on the Server for NFS Open RPC (ONCRPC) Portmapper service which failed to start because of the following error:

• Marked as answer by hickeynf Friday, November 22, 2013 3:08 PM
    • Edited by hickeynf Friday, November 22, 2013 3:11 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:00 PM
  • I've had the same issue with Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 with Qlogic SunSurfer software installed.

After removing Qlogic NIC & HBA agent software the NFS Server Feature was installed correctly.

Regards,

Saturday, January 25, 2014 2:24 PM
  • This same issue worked for me as well. Thanks.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:47 PM
  • pull up a cmd promp and run netstat -ano and find out what PID is using port 111 if something is listening on port 111 it may show 0.0.0.0:111 just go into task manager go to services pull up the PID from the cmd line and temporarily stop the service and try to install the feature again. Its up to you if you want to restart the service after the feature is installed. Ours was the Veeam NFS service that was running.
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Snelgrove Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:02 PM
  • pull up a cmd promp and run netstat -ano and find out what PID is using port 111 if something is listening on port 111 it may show 0.0.0.0:111 just go into task manager go to services pull up the PID from the cmd line and temporarily stop the service and try to install the feature again. Its up to you if you want to restart the service after the feature is installed. Ours was the Veeam NFS service that was running.

Thanks Mike. I used your method to identify VeeamNFSSvc.exe as well. Once stopped, Windows NFS role installed without a hitch!

Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:31 PM