none
show all tasks in one view, irrespective of whether they are hidden or revealed from their summary tasks in another view? RRS feed

• Question

• How can I show all unfiltered tasks in one view (i.e. ‘MDL View’ ), irrespective of whether they are hidden or revealed from their summary tasks in another view, i.e. Gantt Chart view?

I’ve attached my example project. I have received some great help with my MDL creation from you guys here, so thanks again for that.

I have a problem whereby my ‘MDL view’ tasks will only show providing I have ‘shown all subtasks’ or at least expanded that relevant subordinate task from their summary task.

Is there way i could tell ‘MDL view’ to did deeper even if gantt view is only displaying summary tasks?

LINK

Many thanks  

• Edited by gdallas Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:09 PM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:06 PM

Answers

• gdallas,

To answer your first reply, yes, once you collapse to summary lines, your filtered tasks will disappear. I'll repeat, that's what collapse means.

With regard to using grouping, yes, Project creates a special new summary line to create the grouping view. That's what grouping does. No, you can not have grouping without the added summary lines.

Let me ask a basic question. What is your end goal? You seem to be trying different things without success. It's very frustrating for both of us. If we had a clearer idea of WHAT you are trying to accomplish, instead of HOW you are trying to accomplish it, then maybe we can come up with a viable solution.

John

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• gdallas,

I guess I don't fully understand what you want. I downloaded your file and I see that the MDL view has some summary lines collapsed and others expanded. The best way to show everything is to use the "show all subtasks" and also insure no filters or grouping are applied. But it sounds like you are doing that already. What am I missing in your request?

John

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. You see in Gannt chart view their is only one task that has ‘Yes’ selected for ‘Include in MDL?’ i have set up the filter on my Gantt chart view so that only tasks with yes, are shown in MDL view. My trouble is, when i collapse all tasks to summary tasks in my gantt chart view, the same tasks dissapeassrs from my MDL view. I would like, if possible to always show any task that in MDL, that meets the requirements of my filter. i.e. has Yes selected for ‘Include in MDL?’

Try collapsing the tasks to top level summary tasks ion gannt, and you’ll see it vanuishes from my MDL view. Which i don’t want to happen

Thanks agains

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:32 PM
  • gdallas,

For what you want I would create a filter that looks for a "yes" in the Summary field OR a "yes" in the Flag1 (i.e. MDL) field. That will effectively filter out everything else. First expand everything, then apply the filter.

One more thought. If you only want to see a particular outline level of summary task and the MDL then use this filter:

And/Or Field name Test Value

Summary equals yes

And Outline Level equals 1

Or

Flag1 equals yes

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Hi, thank for your time again.

Not sure that resloves it. I dont want to show summary tasks. only the subordinate tasks, providing "inlcude in MDL?" flag = yes.

but my trouble is as soon as i collapse gantt to say, outline level 1 all my MDL tasks dissapear. i dont want this.

any ither ideas?

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 9:11 PM
  • gdallas,

I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to show summary tasks at outline level 1 AND performance tasks with a "yes" in the flag field.

The bottom line is if you collapse the structure to summary tasks only, there is no filter that will be able to pull out the MDL performance tasks. To do what I now understand you want, first expand the whole file and then apply a simple filter that looks for "yes" in the flag field.

John

Thursday, November 17, 2011 2:22 AM
  • Hi John,

Am i right in saying though, as soon as The gantt is then minimised, i will lose the data from my MDL view?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:47 AM
  • Ive almost got it working the way i want, by adding a group to my view. ‘ omcplet and incomplete tasks. The only niggling thing i have with how it presents it is, it appears to add a further summary task to my MDL view and i cant seem to prevent it from doing that.

Any ideas?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:05 AM
  • gdallas,

To answer your first reply, yes, once you collapse to summary lines, your filtered tasks will disappear. I'll repeat, that's what collapse means.

With regard to using grouping, yes, Project creates a special new summary line to create the grouping view. That's what grouping does. No, you can not have grouping without the added summary lines.

Let me ask a basic question. What is your end goal? You seem to be trying different things without success. It's very frustrating for both of us. If we had a clearer idea of WHAT you are trying to accomplish, instead of HOW you are trying to accomplish it, then maybe we can come up with a viable solution.

John

Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:47 PM