none
Dns Record disappear. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a very strange scenario...

how can that be possible, when i'm deleting the DNS suffix records from 1 NIC in the server, there are being deleted automatically from the 2nd NIC.

both of the NIC's are physical, from different brand makers.

how can this behavior be?

if that matters, i'm using windows server 2012.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:18 AM

Answers

• hi Hollis,

seems like the DNS suffix to a specific network card is not available.

"The DNS Suffix search order list is global to all interfaces on the system."

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/09201982-319e-4122-8ffd-2f4dba1b745e/assigning-specific-dns-suffix-to-a-specific-network-connection-is-not-possible?forum=winserverPN

• Marked as answer by Nahum Eliash Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

DNS suffix search list is applied to all connections with TCP/IP enabled. Please refer to the following 2 pictures.

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Hollis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 2:52 AM
  • Hi Hollis,

Thanks for your reply, i'll try to explain my self better...

imagine you have 2 different nic's installed on your computer.

now, using your example, imagine that you delete the dns suffix test.com and abc.com from NIC#1.

does it effect on NIC#2 if the suffixes are the same in the both NIC cards?

in my case, when I delete a DNS suffix from NIC#1, it get's deleted automatically from NIC#2.

hope that now my issue is clearer.

Best regards,

Nahum

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

I don't think this will have effect on NIC2.

Firstly, DNS suffix search list is synchronized on two network adapters. And DNS suffix is set for resolution of unqualified names, it just provides one more choice for your query process. You can run command nslookup -d2 domain name (for example: www.google.com) to check the process in detail.

And You can refer to the following link about how DNS works on multiple network adapters:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc772774(v=ws.10)#dns-processes-and-interactions

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Hollis

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:06 AM
  • hi Hollis,

according to what you are saying: "DNS suffix search list is synchronized on two network adapters"

is it upon your experience or does the default behavior?

I'm trying to understand here where if it's built-in the OS system, and if so, how can I disable it (via registry key maybe)?

the lab is working in a workgroup environment, so all the documents explaining about DNS zones, are not relevant for this issue.

Hollis, thanks for all the assistance :)...maybe you'll be able to provide me with a link of how to disable this DNS suffix configuration between 2 network adapters.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

In my opinion, it is a default mechanism, you can take a look at the highlight of the first picture I provided. The following three settings are applied to all connections with TCP/IP enabled. As for you said to disable it, I think you can't.

Best regards,

Hollis

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 9:35 AM
  • hi Hollis,

seems like the DNS suffix to a specific network card is not available.

"The DNS Suffix search order list is global to all interfaces on the system."

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/09201982-319e-4122-8ffd-2f4dba1b745e/assigning-specific-dns-suffix-to-a-specific-network-connection-is-not-possible?forum=winserverPN

• Marked as answer by Nahum Eliash Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, this list is global to all interfaces. If you have any another question, you can post it at any time.

Kindly regards,

Hollis

Thursday, August 15, 2019 1:20 AM