none
EOP license for On-premises users

Question

• Hello,

I have about 1000 users on Exchange server on-premises and I will make a hybrid scenario as I got 700 users Exchange online license and I am going to change the MX records to point to office 365 I need to know the following points :

1- DO I need any license for 300 users on-premises as their mailflow will pass through Exchange online (like EOP)?

2- In case I didn't get any license for on-prem users will the emails send to them be rejected or they will receive them normally?

3- in case they don't get any EOP license will the emails send to them be scanned or not ?

thanks in advance 

Friday, March 17, 2017 1:02 PM

All replies

• If you are already using the Exchange on-premise, You would have the product license & the required CALs. Since the users are located on the on-premise Exchange, You would not need the Exchange Online licenses, Its only when you move the user mailbox to O365, you have 30 days to assign it a license.

Regards,

Fazal

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

1. No you dont. The O365 licenses are only applicable to mailboxes that are migrated to O365. The 300 Users will be homed on premise and the rest will be homed Online. Yes, the mailflow will still work for on prem mailboxes using designated connectors. The connectors will be created by the Hybrid wizard tool itself

2. They wil not be rejected as they wil be sharing unified GAL (In hybrid). The on prem users will be mail enabled users on Office 365 and usermailbox in On prem. 700 mailboxes that are hosted online wil be mail enabled on on prem and usermailbox on O365 

3. Yes, the emails would still be scanned by EOP bcz u are pointing MX to EOP (So this is your email gateway)

Hope this info helps

MCSA Office 365 | MCSA Exchange server 2010 | Red Hat Certified Engineer

• Edited by Akabe Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:55 PM
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hello,

I have about 1000 users on Exchange server on-premises and I will make a hybrid scenario as I got 700 users Exchange online license and I am going to change the MX records to point to office 365 I need to know the following points :

1- DO I need any license for 300 users on-premises as their mailflow will pass through Exchange online (like EOP)?

2- In case I didn't get any license for on-prem users will the emails send to them be rejected or they will receive them normally?

3- in case they don't get any EOP license will the emails send to them be scanned or not ?

thanks in advance 

1. Yes. See:

https://products.office.com/en/exchange/microsoft-exchange-licensing-faq-email-for-business

If I have some users hosted in Exchange Online, and some users on-premises, can I point my MX record at Office 365 instead of my on-premises servers? If so, do I need Exchange Online Protection subscriptions for the on-premises users?

You can point your MX record to Exchange Online in a hybrid deployment. In this scenario, Exchange Online Protection (EOP) provides anti-spam and anti-malware filtering on inbound mail for the on-premises users, so these on-premises users require EOP subscriptions.

2. Get the stand-alone EOP licenses for those 300 users or add to your existing 365 total. They wont be rejected, but you will be in violation of licensing.

3. Get the license : )

Exchange 2007 reaches end of life on April 11th. What’s your plan to move?

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, March 20, 2017 2:23 AM
    Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:49 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, we need assign EOP license for On-premise mailbox which use EOP to mail flow.

According to the following article: "You may need to purchase EOP licenses for each on-premises mailbox that receives messages that are first delivered to EOP and then routed through the Exchange Online organization."

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj659050(v=exchg.150).aspx?f=255&mspperror=-2147217396

Here's an similar thread about EOP license with On-premise, for your reference:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_dep365/migrate-from-eop-to-office-365-e1-but-keep/4c098db6-d3e9-453d-a693-d8cafc43dbb6

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, March 20, 2017 12:38 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi,

How about the question?

Best Regards,
    David Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by David Wang_ Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:11 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:21 AM
  • If the replies above is helpful to you, please also mark some helpful replies as answers so that someone who has similar issue could find the solution as soon as possible.
    Thanks for your collaboration and understanding.

Best Regards,
    David Wang

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:12 AM