Remove Libraries, how to? RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched high and low and i cant any options to remove, disable or otherwise prevent libraries from existing in Windows 7, I find this feature to be most annoying and anti-intuitive, as do many of my clients, as such we are looking for a way to completely remove this function from windows altogether, we dont it appearing in the windows explorer or folders list, we dont want it as the default view when opening folders such as documents from the start menu, we dont want it as the default save location for documents, and we dont want it as the default location for windows explorer, any suggestions?
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Disabling Library in Windows Explorer with a such way is not recommended. If there is any issue that happen after you modifying the Registry, please un-do the changes you made.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 6, 2010 5:13 AM
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Disabling Library in Windows Explorer with a such way is not recommended. If there is any issue that happen after you modifying the Registry, please un-do the changes you made.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Arthur - Why did MSFT make it so hard for us to use windows7?  If this is not recommended, then why not a checbox: Do you want to use Libraries?  And another check box: Do you want a navigation pane, or a folder list?  And another: Do you want to be able to have multiple toolbars on a single ROW in explorer?  *sigh*.  Windows 7... not the windows I would have made.  It's SO frustrating - to a person who's used windows since it was a "runtime edition" for Aldus Pagemaker... it's VERY frutstrating.

Hi,

I do not recommend that because I have experienced cases that Windows Explorer does not work properly after doing that change.

However we have received several feedback that users do not want Library appears in Windows Explorer. They hope that there is a simple way to exclude something from Windows Explorer. I have reported such feedbacks to proper department.

Also thanks for your feedback.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:46 AM

All replies

• On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 02:34:21 +0000, wallyb132 wrote:

I have searched high and low and i cant any options to remove, disable or otherwise prevent libraries from existing in Windows 7, I find this feature to be most annoying and anti-intuitive, as do many of my clients, as such we are looking for a way to completely remove this function from windows altogether, we dont it appearing in the windows explorer or folders list, we dont want it as the default view when opening folders such as documents from the start menu, we dont want it as the default save location for documents, and we dont want it as the default location for windows explorer, any suggestions?

Read here:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21462/how-to-enable-or-disable-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/

Ken Blake
    • Proposed as answer by MahtaMouse Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:29 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

Friday, July 16, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Arthur - Why did MSFT make it so hard for us to use windows7?  If this is not recommended, then why not a checbox: Do you want to use Libraries?  And another check box: Do you want a navigation pane, or a folder list?  And another: Do you want to be able to have multiple toolbars on a single ROW in explorer?  *sigh*.  Windows 7... not the windows I would have made.  It's SO frustrating - to a person who's used windows since it was a "runtime edition" for Aldus Pagemaker... it's VERY frutstrating.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Hi,

Hi,

I do not recommend that because I have experienced cases that Windows Explorer does not work properly after doing that change.

However we have received several feedback that users do not want Library appears in Windows Explorer. They hope that there is a simple way to exclude something from Windows Explorer. I have reported such feedbacks to proper department.

Also thanks for your feedback.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:46 AM
  • At long last!  Thank you!!!  There is SO much more I hate about Win-7 than I like!!!  I've found 3rd party apps for most of what I find hate about 7, but not all... yet.  Ah, but to finally get rid of the hated Libaries is one more irritant down... now if I can only find a work-a-round or 3rd party app to give me back control to arrange icons the way *I* want and not MS, I will be a happy camper! 
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:28 AM