none
Deployment Task Halts at Login Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to deploy a custom WIM of Windows 7 Enterprise, which starts-off very well. The WIM gets copied over and the computer reboots, then loads all of the devices. When it comes to the part where it would automatically log in as administrator it stops and remains at the login screen. I can select the administrator account and it will log me in without a password. Most of the hardware isn't finished being installed at this point and there is a prompt to reboot. To continue with the deployment,  I have to go into the MININT folder and manually click the LiteTouch.wsf script, which will prompt indicating an existing deployment has been found, what do I want to do? Even weirder is the computer joins the domain, they all do, but under the same name. I didn't think it was possible to have two computers in the same container with the same name. There is only one computer object listed for each computer in the AD console. The custom image was sysprepped before being brought into MDT 2013. The SMSTS.log lists a recurring error that is so obscure, I wonder why they even bothered logging it.

(__hrMethodRetVal == ((HRESULT)0L)) || (bFailIfMissing == false), HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sms_fre\SMS\common\inc\ccmxml.h,566)

Googling that has come up with little for me. Has anyone else seen this before?

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 9:46 PM

All replies

• Can you post logs?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 10:59 PM
  • Sure. Which ones would you like? Add them to OneDrive?

Jason

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:02 PM
  • BDD.log to OneDrive

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:50 PM
  • Thanks. Here's the log: http://1drv.ms/1STlCvV This task finished because I manually intervened and continued.

Jason

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Thanks N75JW.  Looking through the logs I don't see anything that jumps out other than you have a GIANT custom wim.  Have you had success with an RTM Windows 7 SP1 install?  I ask because if your fall2k15c.wim is an update of a custom wim that is in an update of a custom wim etc then you could be beyond the number of rearms.

This lists how to check your rearms: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/11/sysprep-skiprearm-and-image-build-best-practices.aspx

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Or the most recent sysprep and capture went wrong for similar reasons.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:30 PM
  • Ha! Ty I was going to say the same thing, 97 minutes to push out that wim, wow. Usually mine takes ~20 minutes for a 22GB image. I'd recommend switching to a total control method for your drivers. Like Ty I didn't really see anything and it did end with "Logs contained 0 errors and 0 warnings".

Did you check your unattend file just to make sure AutoLogon is set in the oobeSystem pass?

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:57 PM
  • We have a huge image, I know. There are many software packages that need to be pre-configured for the end users. 97 minutes isn't bad, given it is between buildings, going through who knows how many routers and switches, over a gigabit LAN connection. I can't open my unattend.xml with WSIM, no catalog file. I can't generate one, because it takes hours to only end up failing at the end. 

Jason

Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:05 PM
  • Well you can manually edit the unattend file. Look for

<settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
                <UserAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>REDACTED</Value>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                </UserAccounts>
                <AutoLogon>
                    <Enabled>true</Enabled>
                    <Username>Administrator</Username>
                    <Domain>.</Domain>
                    <Password>
                        <Value>REDACTEDValue>
                        <PlainText>false</PlainText>
                    </Password>
                    <LogonCount>999</LogonCount>
                </AutoLogon>

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:08 PM