Remove password when starting Windows RRS feed

• Question

• Until I tried to use Cortana I never needed a password to get into my computer. Now if it has been shut, or goes into screen saver mode it requires a password each time, and I have no need for this. I have tried using this method, but the tab is not checked for the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer section. 

1. Open the Run Box, type control userpasswords2, click OK;

2. Select the wanted user account under the Users tab, clear the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer check box, click Apply;

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box, type your password, and then click OK;

4. In the User Accounts Box, click OK.

Since the box is not checked I have tried checking it then unchecking, and still nothing changes, and it still requires a password.

How can I turn this off?

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 6:21 PM

All replies

• Just to make sure no stone unturned...........

Start > Settings > Accounts > left side, Sign-in options > right side, under Require Sign in, make sure it says Never.

P.S. Must you use screen saver mode ?

Other than looking pretty when nobody is watching, it never saves anything.
    With the nowadays technology of computer monitors, screensaver is obsolete.
    It actually wastes energy by running the slides or animation.

• Edited by david hk129 Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:33 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

It‘s most probably because that you sign in the whole Windows during signing in the Cortana.

When you want to enable the Cortana, it will prompt you sign in as the figure 1.

And then you need click "Just sign in to this app" link as the figure 2 instead of sign in the whole device.

So far, we could turn it off via the following steps:

Settings -> Accounts, Your info, under your account, click sign in with a local account instead.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If yes, please mark the helpful reply as answer in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:05 AM