Is a log created during driver install? RRS feed

• Question

• I tried asking this in the XP forum at social.answers.microsoft.com, but didn't get a useful response, so ...

I have an old IBM A22m laptop with Windows XP sp3.

It has an internal modem which I'm pretty sure is a Lucent (Agere) WinModem.  Physically, it's on a mini-PCI combo card with an Intel PRO/100 Ethernet adapter.  The label on the card doesn't identify the modem, but Windows identifies it as a Lucent Win Modem.

I don't know how, but the driver for the modem became uninstalled.  I have tried to a install new driver, including one downloaded from Lenovo, one downloaded from Modemsite.com, and the Lucent Winmodem driver built in to Win XP. 

All get part way through the install and fail.

If I click "reinstall driver," a message window soon pops up that says "Windows was unable to install the modem."

I've uninstalled the modem and let Windows detect it.  The same thing happens.  The install eventually fails and Device Manager shows code 28.

I've also run the Ltuninstall routine that comes with the driver downloads in order to clean out the old drivers, but that hasn't helped.

Is a log file or something like that created during the install process so that I can see where things are failing?  I looked in Event Viewer, but saw nothing there.

I'm out of ideas.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:34 PM

Answers

• Try this: uninstall the modem again but this time when you restart and windows detects it,stop windows from installing automatically,then install the one you downloaded manually
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• Try this: uninstall the modem again but this time when you restart and windows detects it,stop windows from installing automatically,then install the one you downloaded manually
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:10 PM
  • No joy.  When I run "setup.exe" in the downloaded driver package, the progress bar gets about 3/4 done and then just closes without comment (neither "completed" or "failed").  When I then check Device Manager, the status is "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)."

On this latest attempt, Event Viewer showed a bunch of SxS errors (4 Event ID 59 and 2 Event ID 32, all from SideBySide) all saying more or less that VC80.MFCLOC is not installed.

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:25 AM
  • No joy.  When I run "setup.exe" in the downloaded driver package, the progress bar gets about 3/4 done and then just closes without comment (neither "completed" or "failed").  When I then check Device Manager, the status is "The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)."

On this latest attempt, Event Viewer showed a bunch of SxS errors (4 Event ID 59 and 2 Event ID 32, all from SideBySide) all saying more or less that VC80.MFCLOC is not installed.

Those errors led to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923014 which says to install the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)" so I did that ... the SxS errors went away, but the modem still can't be installed.

I'm starting to think that the hardware might have gone south, but I'd feel more confident in that conclusion if there was some install log that I could look at that might indicate where the install failed or stopped.

Monday, February 14, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Windows Installer or transaction log pooched?  I'm eying up the Side by Side errors.  In a command prompt, try

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

Reboot.  Then try running the installer again.  I realize this is an old thread, but if you've still got that beast in your basement, it's worth a try.

Friday, March 8, 2013 7:24 PM