How to get Linux entry on BCDstore? RRS feed

• Question

• when I try to set a bcdedit boot entry to my unbuntu linux install I get this:

bcdedit /set {e5097c25-266c-11ea-ab73-36e8945fea4b} device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume10
    The set command specified is not valid.
    Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
    The parameter is incorrect.

I first entered this command:

bcdedit /create /d "Unbuntu 19.10 " /application osloader

and it returns the guid as seen above

if I enter:

bcdedit /enum firmware i see this:

Firmware Application (101fffff)
    -------------------------------
    identifier              {fbfa51fc-251c-11ea-ab6f-806e6f6e6963}
    device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume10
    path                    \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
    description             Ubuntu 19.10

This is what I am trying to accomplish

I might add that win10pro is on an internal NVMe ssd while the Unbuntu is on an external USB HDD.

When I installed Ubuntu i disconnected the nvme so that Unbuntu would not write to the win10 ESP partition . Instead it wrote it's own ESP partition to the external USB HDD.

So when my pc posts if I do nothing it boots into win 10.

If I press F10 I get the UEFI Bios boot entry selection screen where I can select Ubuntu to boot.

I know this isn't strictly a win10 isse per se, but if somebody knows how I might accomplish this, Itwould be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 5:35 PM

All replies

• It is a syntax error, as it says in what you pasted.

What is ID e5097c25-266c-11ea-ab73-36e8945fea4b?

It can be a bit confusing to use BCDEdit, especially to do custom stuff. You may have to remove the value before adding new. Or perhaps use a program like EasyBCD if it helps any.

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 7:12 PM
  • the {e5097c25-266c-11ea-ab73-36e8945fea4b} is the guid that is generated by:

bcdedit /create /d "Unbuntu 19.10 " /application osloader. 

I've used EasyBCD in the past and it messed around with my bcdstore and created a bunch of random entries. I tried easyUEFI and it shows all my current UEFI bcdstore boot entries. I may give EasyBCD one more look and try. TIA

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 11:45 PM
  • Hi,

Since your problem is more about Ubuntu, we advise you to have this asked to Ubuntu support for better answers.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation。

Have a nice day!

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Sean LimingMVP Wednesday, December 25, 2019 3:38 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2019 2:55 AM
  • How would Ubuntu support help? This is a Windows question.... specifically relating to BCD.

I'm not particularly sure about how to do it via BCD. Any time I've dealt with Windows/Linux multi-boots (thick or thin) I end up using a Linux bootloader, for thick it would be Grub4dos. It seems quite easy to boot a Windows instance from Grub4dos or from PXELinux, much easier compared to trying to boot Linux from local or server BCD.

• Edited by Tripredacus Friday, December 27, 2019 6:42 PM typo
    Thursday, December 26, 2019 6:11 PM