none
Project Online and Macs RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone with a Mac use Project Online and use the Project Pro client on Mac somehow?

We are working with some media/creative type companies who predominantly use Macs, is Microsoft going to be able to provide for those verticals?

thanks

Steve

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:41 PM

All replies

• I haven't the foggiest idea what Microsoft's plans/intentions are, but I would hazard a guess they are not planning on making these products work "great" with anything other than IE and IE's Windows-based infrastructure.  

The issue is not so much Mac or other hardware, but the operating system and browser infrastructure. I would suggest you test access with your Macs using, say, Safari and/or Chrome or whatever on Mac OS.  Some things will surely not work due to missing system components, but it might work "good enough". We routinely run Project Pro on Windows on VMWare on MacOS. Works just fine. We use Safari on Mac OS with Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft (Mac Version) and it's works "good enough". Some things don't work, e.g. using SharePoint Datasheets, simply because the right technology not included in Safari. But the right technology is in Microsoft's IE browser. Consider using Windows with Parallels or VMWare and in that run IE and all will probably be perfect.  VMWare in "unity" mode make it "look" almost like it's part of Mac OS (but a purist may notice and not like ... whatever).

Try it. Experiment. See what happens.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I will say Microsoft appears to be more vocal with the Project 2013 in their statements that Chrome is supported.  I also know that my packaged version of Office 365 clearly states it is supported in Windows 7, Windows 8, or Mac OS.

You might want to have a serous conversation with a Microsoft Partner in your area.  They should be able to demo the product or get you a proof of concept license before you buy.

Julie

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:26 PM
  • Office 2013 (including SharePoint and PWA) fully support Chrome, Safari etc. Project Pro only works on Windows, and you access it on Mac via some virtualization methods (such as Parallels) or remote desktop ones (including Citrix). All these have their own licensing implications.

www.umt.com | www.umtprojectessentials.com

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:00 PM