Invalid Template error after deploying site definition to different environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed a custom site definition with some custom features and web parts.All Works fine in my development environment i.e site is being created with necessary features and lists. But when I copy the respective files and folders to Production environment and installed my custom features and also run the IISRESET command and click on Create button by selecting my site definition in template section, its giving "The template you have chosen is invalid or cannot be found" error. But a few days prior I have deployed a initial version of the same site definition with same features and every thing had worked fine. I am going crazy of this absurd behavior of SharePoint.its really annoying as it accepts the same definition a few days prior and gives unfriendly error afterwards. If anybody had solved this issue please share it to me to get out of this.

Thanks.

K.V.N.PAVAN
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:37 PM

Answers

• I am actually redeploying the entire site definition with latest changes.At last I got the Site Definition working. The actual error is some other member of my team created another definition with the same template ID in WEBTEMP file. Hence the error. I changed it to two different numbers and it started working.

Thanks for your inputs,

K.V.N.PAVAN
    • Marked as answer by Pa1 Kumar Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:26 PM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:26 PM

All replies

• Did you deploy it as a feature? 

"But when I copy the respective files and folders to Production environment " I assume you are talking about copying the wsp and not the actual files. 

Thanks

V

V
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:22 PM
  • No I am talking about the exact files such as Site definition file should be copied to Site templates folder of 12 hive and features folders are to be copied to FEATURES folder of 12 HIVE and install those features using STSADM Command and so on..
    K.V.N.PAVAN
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Well, how big is your server farm? The proper way of deploying those modified templates is using WSP features.

Can you look in the logs and event viewer for the error? 

Thanks

V

V
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:04 PM
  • Yaa my farm has one WFE and One Application server. even the WSP feature does the same right (such as copying the solution folders to respective locations). Yes but Iam on the way of using WSP features but initially testing by copying the features and site definitions manually.My next step will be pacing the correct site definition into a wsp file.The Event viewer is the same error as I posted and some COM exception. According to my initial research this error may occur if templates Id conflicts with existing one.but some more suggests that it might working if some timer job runs nothing needs to be done and it may work automatically by next day. Hoping to get a solution. Lets see 
    K.V.N.PAVAN
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Pavan, 

Timer Job might not be doing anything in this case. It will have to be something on the site definition. 

Are you upgrading the exisiting site definition that was deployed?

Thanks

V

V
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:46 PM
  • I am actually redeploying the entire site definition with latest changes.At last I got the Site Definition working. The actual error is some other member of my team created another definition with the same template ID in WEBTEMP file. Hence the error. I changed it to two different numbers and it started working.

Thanks for your inputs,

K.V.N.PAVAN
    • Marked as answer by Pa1 Kumar Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:26 PM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 2:26 PM