none
DPM backup question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I need to configure a secondary DPM to backup the backups from the primary DPM servers, and then have those go to Tape on the secondary.  Are there are good links for config. and any know issues \ concerns to beaware of?  Any thoughts appreciated.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrew,

Your Secondary DPM will not give you an option to select the volumes that hold the replicas and are hidden. However this does not mean that the Secondary DPM is not able to protect them. On your Secondary DPM server when you are adding to a Protection Group you need to select the data you want to protect under "Protected Servers". What this is doing is protecting the data (protected servers) from the Primary DPM server. Essentially this is the replicas on those hidden volumes you are referring to. Based on your screenshot it looks as if you are looking for the replicas and hidden volumes to appear when you expand your Primary DPM server but that is not the Primary and Secondary DPM servers work.

Let me know if anything is unclear.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrew,

This should be pretty straight forward.

Configure Primary and Secondary DPM servers.

On the Secondary DPM server do backup to disk then to tape (B2D2T).

Here are links:

Primary/Secondary DPM:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795680.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634186.aspx

B2D2T:

On the Secondary DPM server when you create your Protection Groups select disk for Short Term Protection and select tape for Long Term Protection.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech

Ive installed the Agent on the DPM Primary from the DPM Secondary.  To protect the replicas on DPM Primary, is it a case of selecting each protected Agent and their workloads through the Protection Group (PG) wizard on the Secondary DPM Server?  If so, these workloads do not get enumerated when selecting each Agent when going through the PG creation wizard? Any ideas? 

Note: Ive checked and the SQL VVS Writer is started on the DPM Primary. 

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech

Ive installed the Agent on the DPM Primary from the DPM Secondary.  To protect the replicas on DPM Primary, is it a case of selecting each protected Agent and their workloads through the Protection Group (PG) wizard on the Secondary DPM Server?  If so, these workloads do not get enumerated when selecting each Agent when going through the PG creation wizard? Any ideas? 

Note: Ive checked and the SQL VVS Writer is started on the DPM Primary. 

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Hi Andrew,

If I am understanding your response correctly that is right. The workloads do not appear. They are however there. So for example if you protected a folder on a file server on the Primary DPM server all you will see for that protected server on the Secondary DPM when adding to a protection group will be the c drive of that file server. Once you select the C it protects anything that the Primary DPM server is protecting hence the folder you chose to protect when you added it to the Primary DPM server.

Let me know if this needs to be clarified more.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:07 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech

Well when selecting the volumes on Primary DPM server (from the Secondary) Im only presented with C:\ drive (amongst others e.g. 'All Shares', SQL data etc)  .  The other 'drives', which hold the replicas, are not shown since DPM looks after these and does not show them via Explorer.  Does protecting C:\ also cover the other 'hidden' volumes (aka SAN volumes)? 

Many thanks for help on this.  Its been awhile!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech

Well when selecting the volumes on Primary DPM server (from the Secondary) Im only presented with C:\ drive (amongst others e.g. 'All Shares', SQL data etc)  .  The other 'drives', which hold the replicas, are not shown since DPM looks after these and does not show them via Explorer.  Does protecting C:\ also cover the other 'hidden' volumes (aka SAN volumes)? 

Many thanks for help on this.  Its been awhile!

Hi Andrew,

The Secondary DPM is able to protect what is on the Primary DPM. So any volume that you are protecting on the Primary you should be able to protect on the Secondary and it should show up to select for Protection. If you need more clarification please post a screenshot.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:36 AM
  • Thanks Buchatech

Please see screenshot.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi Andrew,

Your Secondary DPM will not give you an option to select the volumes that hold the replicas and are hidden. However this does not mean that the Secondary DPM is not able to protect them. On your Secondary DPM server when you are adding to a Protection Group you need to select the data you want to protect under "Protected Servers". What this is doing is protecting the data (protected servers) from the Primary DPM server. Essentially this is the replicas on those hidden volumes you are referring to. Based on your screenshot it looks as if you are looking for the replicas and hidden volumes to appear when you expand your Primary DPM server but that is not the Primary and Secondary DPM servers work.

Let me know if anything is unclear.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech.. you have helped loads!! (it has changed somewhat since I did DPM2DPM with 2007).  Ive also discovered that if the Protected servers are in a cluster you need to select them from the Cluster tree \ branch, rather than from the Protected Servers tree \ branch.  Thanks again, I doubt this is the last you have heard from me! : )
    Friday, March 30, 2012 12:21 AM