FCS Distribution Role Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We're installing a two-server topology for FCS. When I go to install the distribution component on our WSUS 3.0 SP1 server, it passes the requirements and begins to install. However, it suddenly quits and exits back to the splash screen. I did come across one post where someone said if you have WSUS 3.0 SP1 already, there is no need to install the distribution component. Is this true? Also, where can I find any logs pinpointing any errors? The only log I found was the prequisites logs showing everything passes.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff

It is definitely the case that on WSUS v3.0 SP1, there is no need at all to install the distribution components. The function of this is purely on wsus v2 to increase the number of times the server can connect and sync updates, and approve the FCS bits for download

In WSUS v3 simply add the Forefront Client Security product if not already, and ensure you have selected Definition Updates for sync

You would then normally enable the definition updates category to be auto approved for install as there will typically be at least one of these per day.

Im not sure there are any detailed logs of this component without trying it, most logs are located in the \Program Files\Forefront Client Security folder

Unfortunately this isn't well documented on the FCS Docs site, it just says to install with WSUS SP1 - but it's referring to WSUS v2.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Chris
    • Proposed as answer by chrisw_uk Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by jwbrown Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeff

It is definitely the case that on WSUS v3.0 SP1, there is no need at all to install the distribution components. The function of this is purely on wsus v2 to increase the number of times the server can connect and sync updates, and approve the FCS bits for download

In WSUS v3 simply add the Forefront Client Security product if not already, and ensure you have selected Definition Updates for sync

You would then normally enable the definition updates category to be auto approved for install as there will typically be at least one of these per day.

Im not sure there are any detailed logs of this component without trying it, most logs are located in the \Program Files\Forefront Client Security folder

Unfortunately this isn't well documented on the FCS Docs site, it just says to install with WSUS SP1 - but it's referring to WSUS v2.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Chris
    • Proposed as answer by chrisw_uk Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by jwbrown Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:10 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:23 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. You would think that during the software prerequisites it would check and figure it out. Oh well. Thanks!
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Agreed, I can only think it is because FCS was released prior to WSUS v3 being launched officially, it was still in beta...
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:20 AM