none
DNS Issue with microsoft domains RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

there's something wrong with my dns servers (win 2k8 R2) and microsoft domains.

I just made a brand new server, not yet joined into domain, and I was trying to download latest windows updates, but system returns me error 8024402C.

I googled several hours for hotfix/workaround with no results. Please note that the new server has just the OS installed. No thirdy part app/software, no antivirus, no firewall (the windows one is disabled) and so on. Just only the OS.

I only found out that there's something wrong when I try to resolve specific microsoft addresses from my network, specifically download.windowsupdate.com or dc.download.windowsupdate.com

Actually my primary DNS server is configured for forwarding external domains query to google dns (8.8.8.8).

A weird thing is that I can't resolve these addresses even if I modify hosts file on new server.

Any idea of what's happening?

Is there something I can check on my primary DNS server?

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 1:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I only found out that there's something wrong when I try to resolve specific microsoft addresses from my network, specifically download.windowsupdate.com or dc.download.windowsupdate.com

Some more diagnostic information might prove useful.

The output from the following would help:

1. "ipconfig /all" from both the primary and new server.
    2. "nslookup -debug  download.windowsupdate.com" from the new server.

In addtion,please clear the cache and test again.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I only found out that there's something wrong when I try to resolve specific microsoft addresses from my network, specifically download.windowsupdate.com or dc.download.windowsupdate.com

Some more diagnostic information might prove useful.

The output from the following would help:

1. "ipconfig /all" from both the primary and new server.
    2. "nslookup -debug  download.windowsupdate.com" from the new server.

In addtion,please clear the cache and test again.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Hi Massimo,

Could you also check your cabling and ping, download.windowsupdate.com and report the ping time latency. Sometimes it can be as simple as a faulty cable or port. You never know a slow link could be causing a time out.

Rick

• Edited by R. Morgan Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:25 AM
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 5:25 AM