none
KB4011626 update for Outlook 2016 32-bit causes PDF attachments to be stripped out of forwarded emails

All replies

• Confirmed!

We updated yesterday and we have the same issue at least on 3 clients so far. Seems like just PDF scanned from our multfunction printers (toshiba) are affected.
    • Edited by RUETR Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:26 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 8:26 AM
  • We're also having this issue.

I first noticed this with scanned documents (PDF format) coming from a multi-function printer (HP MFP M577).

I also tested with PDF documents forwarded from an external e-mail address and found that:

1. If the incoming message is signed, then the attachment remains attached when selecting Forward.
    2. If the incoming message is not signed, then the attachment is removed when selecting Forward.

Messages with attachments that were sent (not forwarded) can be forwarded with no problems, whether signed or not.

UPDATE : The same behaviour happens with e-mails that are Replies (Reply All) with attachments added, with the same divergence of behaviour for signed and unsigned messages.

Removing KB4011626 has resolved the issue (also confirmed in a support call with Office 365 support).

• Edited by Symon (Steve) B Thursday, January 11, 2018 11:40 AM Added reference to behaviour for Replies
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Deleted
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:44 AM
  • Please Microsoft fix this. My phone is killing me with angry customers.
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:48 AM
  • I was able to remove the update from affected machines via Control Panel and also using WSUS.

Removing the update obviously has a negative impact on security, so the other option is to suggest a work-around until MS issue an pack.

Workaround

If you have a "forwarded" or "replied" mail with attachments that you want to forward:

• Save the attachments to a temporary location
    • Open the mail and select Reply / Reply All or Forward
    • Add the attachments back in
    • Send

Removal (Win 10 Enterprise 1709) 

• Click on Start and Type Control Panel    or   Press Windows-R, type Control and press Enter
    • Open Programs and Features
    • Click on View installed Updates
    • Look for an entry with KB4011626 in the list of updates
    • Right click on the entry and select Uninstall

I saw two instances of the update listed, but removing just one of the listed entries worked for me.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:01 PM
  • Confirmed!

We having the same Issue.

I think affected mails are only with PDF attachments formatted as text only which will be forwarded or answered to all.

We uninstalled the update (KB4011626)via WSUS, this solve the problem for us.

Regards
    Jesse

Note: Posts are provided without warranty.

• Edited by Jesse Reppin Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:06 PM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:01 PM
  • Please Microsoft fix this. My phone is killing me with angry customers.
    Posting a message here will NOT get it fixed. You need to call CSS directly for support and they will work with you to solve this problem. Until someone call CSS nothing will get done to fix this. 

Garth Jones

Blog: http://www.enhansoft.com/blog Old Blog: http://smsug.ca/blogs/garth_jones/default.aspx

Twitter: @GarthMJ Book: System Center Configuration Manager Reporting Unleased

Thursday, January 11, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Has anyone removed this using SCCM?

I tried using the below method but I don't think this works with office patches from either system32 or syswow64 folders:

wusa.exe /uninstall /kb:4011626 /quiet /norestart

This seems to work

msiexec /i {90160000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} MSIPATCHREMOVE={9894BF35-19C1-4C89-A683-D40E94D08C77} /qn REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS

Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:02 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for posting all of the repro specifics and workarounds for the issue.  I have reproduced the issue and reported this to the Outlook Team and they are currently investigating the root cause.  As you might have noted in the KB there were some attachment related changes in the update and it appears there is a regression with one of those.  I'll post back as soon as we have additional information.  

Friday, January 12, 2018 12:43 AM
  • Our organization also reproduced the issue for plain text messages send from outside of our Exchange with attachments and not restricted to PDF only (also Word attachments). I just turned it in at Microsoft Premier Support (they said it wasn't known yet). Workarounds for us are using Outlook Web Access and drag and drop attachments from the original message.

Friday, January 12, 2018 3:57 PM
  • As a work around go to Outlook options > Mail > Replies and forwards > When forwarding a message:

- Change to: Attach original message.

The attachment will be inside of original message.

I know this is not ideal, but is better than saving the attachment from the original email and adding the attachment back into email to forward

Friday, January 12, 2018 8:00 PM
  • Another workaround I found is -

In Outlook > in the respond tab select More > Forward as an attachment.

Craig

Monday, January 15, 2018 3:03 PM
  • Hi all,

Just wanted to update that the KB was updated with a Known Issues section to acknowledge the issue, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011626

We also added it to the Outlook Known Issues page, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-Outlook-for-Windows-ecf61305-f84f-4e13-bb73-95a214ac1230?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team is working on the fix and I will post back when we know how and when the fix will release.

Monday, January 15, 2018 6:15 PM
  • Hello Gabriel,

Other than to ask our clients to roll-back the Jan 2018 changes to their systems, is there anything we as an ISV creating a MAPI Outlook Add-in that is visible as an Outlook data file can do to allow our clients Outlook Preview to their SharePoint based Office documents?   

I have read the known issues section but problems that other MAPI providers experience after the update are not yet described.  

Tuesday, January 16, 2018 6:28 PM
  • A workarround that Works for me:

Disable Preview Pane, Right click the message and select Forward.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 11:15 AM
  • Hi Gabriel please let me know when there is a Fix I also came accross this issue today
    Friday, January 19, 2018 1:16 PM
  • There is now an update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011123/january-22-2018-update-for-outlook-2016-kb4011123

Monday, January 29, 2018 3:07 PM
  • Deleted
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:01 AM
  • Because it is actually only available to manual download. Not appear in WSUS / SUP for me too... Thx Microsoft.

Friday, February 2, 2018 2:06 PM
  • 4011123 still not on wsus... i wonder if it was covered by another update as the problem appears fixed for me. i dont see 4011123 installed on this workstation...
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 3:03 PM